• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Well my nightmare is still ongoing so here I am again

S

ScaredyCat22

My third bridge did not work out well, and now a bridge is no longer an option for me.
I had no idea that zirconia was such a huge ordeal to cut off. I knew it was going very badly from comments the dentist was making. during the 2 hour appointment of drilling, cutting, pulling, prying, hitting, tapping, and chipping off pieces of my cracked zirconia bridge, when the last piece was finally chipped off a large chunk of my tooth broke off with it.

so the new bridge would not fit now that my tooth broke, and I didn't want to try to support a bridge with a broken tooth anyway. I had my broken tooth crowned but it has not recovered from the trauma of being in and out of 5 temporaries, 3 bridges, and being broken. I can't stand the pain any more. It is getting worse instead of better. I am now having to call around to find someone to extract it, and I am devastated not only that I will now have no lower left molars at all, but that perfectly healthy top teeth have had their enamel ground down to fit a lower bridge that I don't even have. I wish I had never tried to replace my tooth and I am terrified of getting another extraction. I don't have a dentist anymore because I don't want to go back to the one who hurt me.

I try to tell myself that at least I will be out of pain when I get rid of this tooth but I am so afraid to go through it again. Every time I try to get help I am left worse off than before I went. and thousands of dollars poorer. I miss my life the way it was before. I miss food. I miss being able to hug my husband without having to tell him be careful you don't touch my face because of the pain. I miss being happy. Though I don't really remember what it felt like to be happy. This has effected every aspect of my life and I am feeling hopeless and terrified that the pain will never end.

Scaredy, I'm so, so sorry. You know that I desperately wish I could fix it all for you... It hate all of this so much for you. I don't know what to say or do other than send lots of virtual hugs your way. Please don't hesitate to send me a message anytime.

I feel your pain from here. So sorry this has happened to you ( more often than is good ) but am really glad you posted in, lots of people here who understand and are supportive.

You obviously need something done to help you out of the situation,and the best is to find a dentist who helps anxiety patients as they will be more patient and perhaps talk things through more than others would.

Scaredy, I'm so, so sorry. You know that I desperately wish I could fix it all for you... It hate all of this so much for you. I don't know what to say or do other than send lots of virtual hugs your way. Please don't hesitate to send me a message anytime.

Thanks Pippa. after what I have been through I am afraid to ever go to any dentist ever again

Thanks Fearful I appreciate the hugs

I called the oral surgeon's office who did the extraction after my last botched restoration. I asked if I have to be referred by a dentist if I need a tooth out or if I can just refer myself. She said they would rather I see a dentist first in case the tooth can be saved (yeah right) but if I am sure I want it out I can just make the appointment so I did. They can't do it til the first because they are so busy doing kids wisdom teeth before school starts.
I keep telling myself that my appointment with him was the only on out of 80 appointments in the past 2 years that went well.. so I am trying not to be afraid. but I am still worried sick over the thought of having no molars and what this will mean to my top teeth. plus my premolar has a screwed up filling where the notch was cut out to support the bridge. I can't chew on that tooth either.
The broken molar is beyond hope in my opinion. and I have no interest in any dentist trying to talk me into root canaling it first to prolong my pain like last time. I can't chew on it. it is sensitive to hot and cold, even if hot or cold touches my gums and not my tooth the root aches. it hurts to touch. the whole side of my face hurts but no visible abscess yet.
I have no guarantee when the dentist broke it that it didn't break to my jaw, so no root canals for me.
I have lost 10 pounds so far. probably won't gain them back even after extraction because it will still be hard to eat. I will never be able to tolerate implants. I have been kicking myself for letting another general dentist screw up another bridge. I wish I had gone to a prosthodontist. or better yet not gone at all

That is just terrible. I am so sorry that happened to you.

If I was in your situation I would also just want it out. Tooth pain is so miserable. Have you considered a partial denture? I know they get a bad rap but I have one for four top teeth and it's great. I mean I'd rather have real teeth but it's perfectly functional and I don't even notice it most of the time.

I will be getting one for the two lower molars I just had removed a few weeks ago and to be honest I am only getting it because the dentist insisted that my teeth will shift. Now that both sockets are healed I have zero issues chewing. My body adapted really fast.

I don't blame you for finding a new dentist, but don't give up hope, there are plenty of good ones out there that will help you get out of this mess. And don't let this experience totally spoil all the success you have had.

If I was in your situation I would also just want it out. Tooth pain is so miserable. Have you considered a partial denture? I know they get a bad rap but I have one for four top teeth and it's great. I mean I'd rather have real teeth but it's perfectly functional and I don't even notice it most of the time.

I will be getting one for the two lower molars I just had removed a few weeks ago and to be honest I am only getting it because the dentist insisted that my teeth will shift. Now that both sockets are healed I have zero issues chewing. My body adapted really fast.

I don't blame you for finding a new dentist, but don't give up hope, there are plenty of good ones out there that will help you get out of this mess. And don't let this experience totally spoil all the success you have had.

I would like someday to just get a partial denture so my top teeth don't super erupt like they say they will, but I have been lead to believe that a partial to replace both molars when there is nothing on the other side for support is very unstable and that it will rock if you try to chew on it. Has a dentist told you that a partial is an option for both molars? I don't want to go through getting one if I am not going to be able to chew on it because even going through getting impressions made 3 times (for 3 failed bridges) was a nightmare for me. my gag reflex can't handle it

I think I may have misunderstood, your lower molar extractions were 1 on each side? that is why I think a partial denture won't be an option for me, I will have no lower molars, both will be gone on the same side

I would like to have a better understanding of what happened here.
How long was this bridge?
How many teeth did it sit on?
What was the problem(s)?
I assume your dentist doesn't have electric handpieces as it would have been much easier to cut off the zirconia bridge. I know because I just had to cut off a zirconia bridge due to a root fracture and it took me about ten minutes. My Bien-Air electric handpieces are terrific.

I would like to have a better understanding of what happened here.
How long was this bridge?
How many teeth did it sit on?
What was the problem(s)?
I assume your dentist doesn't have electric handpieces as it would have been much easier to cut off the zirconia bridge. I know because I just had to cut off a zirconia bridge due to a root fracture and it took me about ten minutes. My Bien-Air electric handpieces are terrific.

The bridge was 2 crowns and 1 wing. tooth 18 was crown prepped, 19 was the pontic and 20 had a notch cut out of it to fit the wing. My bite was way off especially on the wing. after the second time I had a bite adjustment the wing cracked off the bridge the next day. I only had it for 8 days when it cracked so he said he would make me a new one. when trying to get the cracked bridge off to put on the new one a large chunk of my tooth 18 broke off and was still stuck to the bridge when he pried the last piece off.

Oh Scardeycat I'm so sorry to hear what your going through, sounds a complete nightmare, I hope you get it resolved soon. I might be mistaken but am sure you will be able to get partials, I now unfortunately have no lower molars or pre molars and once my gums have healed and settled down I will be getting partials.

Thank you tari, you have made me feel a little less hopeless about ever being able to eat again. I have been only chewing on one side for 2 years now and I believe I may end up losing the molars on the "good side" before much longer too. They all have very old fillings and have been hurting on and off since I had the impressions done. I know they claim impressions can not crack teeth but when the teeth are not that strong to begin with and have old fillings... who knows.

Yes mine are one on each side. I would still think there would be something they could do as far as a partial goes that would work and not move around every time you eat.

I hope you get it all worked out soon. Will be thinking of you in the mean time.

Yes mine are one on each side. I would still think there would be something they could do as far as a partial goes that would work and not move around every time you eat.

I hope you get it all worked out soon. Will be thinking of you in the mean time.

Thank you Abby
I am starting to chicken out already

Very similar to you Scaredycat, I was chewing for years on one side due to root cannal that never got crowned so was very weak, this then caused my other "good side" to deteriate more quickly than it might of, my molars kept breaking, became so stressful eating in the end. Now I can't chew anything but really hope that partial dentures will give me back some level of chewing, when I have had the uppers that need removing gone that will include the original root cannal tooth and I will be so glad it is gone.

Very similar to you Scaredycat, I was chewing for years on one side due to root cannal that never got crowned so was very weak, this then caused my other "good side" to deteriate more quickly than it might of, my molars kept breaking, became so stressful eating in the end. Now I can't chew anything but really hope that partial dentures will give me back some level of chewing, when I have had the uppers that need removing gone that will include the original root cannal tooth and I will be so glad it is gone.

Did you have to lose the molars on your "good" side too? I am having pain over there now too and not sure if it's my teeth or my jaw aching because of my bite being off for so long

Yes, molars and premolars all gone now, a combination of issues has led me to this point, mainly I knew I had problems but ignored them as much as I could, only going dentist as a real last resort, also having been going to a not the best dentist, she was always in a rush and very scatty, did not feel in good hands. I hope you manage to keep your good side teeth!

I think the only way I will be able to get through this is to get someone to sedate me. Most dentists here do not do that, and I have stayed away from my doctor so long they no longer consider me a patient of theirs. I guess I will have to find a doctor and go through the whole ugly story and see if they will give me something I can take for appointment day.
I did chicken out on the extraction but I am still keeping the appointment with the oral surgeon just for him to tell me what he thinks of it. If he thinks it is worth saving I may ask him to give me the name of a good dentist. If he thinks it is best to be rid of it I will get it over with (I think)

I think the only way I will be able to get through this is to get someone to sedate me. Most dentists here do not do that, and I have stayed away from my doctor so long they no longer consider me a patient of theirs. I guess I will have to find a doctor and go through the whole ugly story and see if they will give me something I can take for appointment day.
I did chicken out on the extraction but I am still keeping the appointment with the oral surgeon just for him to tell me what he thinks of it. If he thinks it is worth saving I may ask him to give me the name of a good dentist. If he thinks it is best to be rid of it I will get it over with (I think)

Regarding medications pre appointment, there are some medications you can get from your doctor. My girlfriend went in for treatment not so long ago and she's petrified. He gave her lorazepam and she said it worked wonders. On that note, I need to see my doctor to get some for my appointment that is soon to be coming, but just like you I haven't been to my doc in a while and they've probably removed me off their patient list.

If it's any help to you I'm terrified. I was meant to have 2 wisdoms out a long time ago. Now they're holes. I keep skipping appointments. I know that scared feeling. But, on the positive side as much as dental work is horrible you have come a long way in terms of procedures. 2 hours in a dentist chair ... I commend your bravery! Give yourself a pat on the back for that at least. That's more than most people could handle.

I wish you luck :)

Regarding medications pre appointment, there are some medications you can get from your doctor. My girlfriend went in for treatment not so long ago and she's petrified. He gave her lorazepam and she said it worked wonders. On that note, I need to see my doctor to get some for my appointment that is soon to be coming, but just like you I haven't been to my doc in a while and they've probably removed me off their patient list.

If it's any help to you I'm terrified. I was meant to have 2 wisdoms out a long time ago. Now they're holes. I keep skipping appointments. I know that scared feeling. But, on the positive side as much as dental work is horrible you have come a long way in terms of procedures. 2 hours in a dentist chair ... I commend your bravery! Give yourself a pat on the back for that at least. That's more than most people could handle.

I wish you luck :)

Thank you. I am going to look into getting something to calm my nerves.
I really didn't feel brave in the chair at all. I was scared sick but in no condition to just walk out. People say if you don't like what the dentist is doing and want them to stop they will, but that has not been my experience. That makes me even more afraid to go. There also comes a point of no return where it's too late to get out of the chair. Like I couldn't just get up with half the bridge chipped off. or leave with my tooth broken off. Not that they would have stopped me but I would not have been able to stand the pain. I now in addition to all my other fears have a brand new one. Fear that they will not get me numb. This dentist was never able to get me numb enough and I had to just sit there through the pain. that never happened to me with any other dentist but now I'm afraid something must be wrong with me that makes me unable to get numb

Thank you. I am going to look into getting something to calm my nerves.
I really didn't feel brave in the chair at all. I was scared sick but in no condition to just walk out. People say if you don't like what the dentist is doing and want them to stop they will, but that has not been my experience. That makes me even more afraid to go. There also comes a point of no return where it's too late to get out of the chair. Like I couldn't just get up with half the bridge chipped off. or leave with my tooth broken off. Not that they would have stopped me but I would not have been able to stand the pain. I now in addition to all my other fears have a brand new one. Fear that they will not get me numb. This dentist was never able to get me numb enough and I had to just sit there through the pain. that never happened to me with any other dentist but now I'm afraid something must be wrong with me that makes me unable to get numb

You just need to find the right dentist. Maybe your Oral Surgeon can point you in the right direction? That really makes all the different in the world. And I also agree that getting something to calm your nerves will work wonders.

I actually get scared that I won't get numb every time I go in. I always make my dentist give me a shot to top me off regardless because I never feel numb enough after the first one even though I probably am. Yours are bottom teeth to and that IANB or whatever you call it jaw block is no joke. It works lol. I actually like it because it's always painless when my dentist does it.

But back on topic of dentist. There is one out there for you that will make you feel comfortable. I like mine because he is very soft spoken, kind of a quiet guy really and has never had a bad thing to say about my teeth even though they are a wreck and gives me a treatment plan that we BOTH agree on. I hate dentists that say no no no you need to do this first or that first.

Just don't give up hope. And don't give up, I know you want to be able to chew comfortable again and I'm am sure there is a way to make that happen.