• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Well, what was all the fuss about? (UK)

G

Former Member
Well after several years of trailing round dentists (especially those describing themselves as 'good with nervous patients), fear, crying, hysterics, etc., etc. it is all done.

I was told every filling needed to be replaced with a white one, that I needed caps, crowns, bridges, teeth whitening, you name it, with costs rising into thousands of Pounds, I finally found an NHS dentist who would take me on.

Two small fillings, one large one and one extraction - total cost £60, done in two x half an hour sessions. All that worrying about dental dams (he had no intention of using them), bad reaction to the novocaine (injections hardly hurt), would my blood pressure kill me, etc. and the thousand and one other things you try and talk yourself into......nothing happened!

What on earth was I making such a fuss about - and yet, I know how very real that fear was and how obsessive I became. Yet in the great way of your life, how little time does dental treatment really take? Even the extraction, which included problems because of a huge cyst on the root (the worst he had ever seen!!) no more than about 20 minutes and no pain, just discomfort.

I know that I can write nothing that will make any of you reading this be able to overcome your fear. Yet I read here over and over and understanding the fear and seeing how many people felt the same did help me. I was telling the dentist today how I appreciated the fact the chair faced the door and the door was open - meant I could run away. He laughed but the nurse understood.

So please, I know how much courage it takes, but find that courage. It is all over so quickly. I cannot count the number of hours I have spent worrying about bloody dentists and treatment. Now it is done I feel so foolish - nothing in the chair compared to the suffering I did in my head before I ever set foot in the dentists!

Please make that call - it will be over so quickly.

God bless XX

Glad it went so well!! I think it shows that it is time well spent to find a caring, laid-back person who understands your fears and can take the time to talk with you and put you at ease. I had the same situation with 10 extractions recently, though my dentist went way too fast with the injections and they hurt bad. Wish I had known about the wand before! Anyway, once that was over everything else went fine and here I am 5 days later, still alive, not neraly as sore as I expected to be, and virtually no bleeding. It's actually a relief to know I will never have to do anything with my upper mouth again, except for a reline or two once in a blue moon. I am very satisfied thus far; hope I still am 4-5 months and longer.

Anyway, congrats on your achievement and sucess story!!

Regards,

Mark

Back