• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Went to dentist today with lump on gum

B

BensonBooga

Have a lump on my gum since a filling last week. I went to the dentist today and they looked at it and told me to use mouth wash for 2 weeks and see how it goes, and come back if still there. I asked about antibiotics but was told they are not needed.

I am concerned though, what happens if it pops or enters my blood stream in the night ? It could even be slowly leaking now for all I know. Shouldn't I be worried and be on antibiotics ? I don't have any pain but maybe the pulp in the tooth is already dead as I had terrible toothache in that area over Christmas, but with no lump then.

Should I stop worrying ? I guess seeing all the "tooth bacteria can reach the heart and brain" posts online that have shook me up.

I'm not a medical professional, but you should try not to pay undue attention to stories on the internet about deadly infections. The truth is these are very, very rare. And even if you did get one (so unlikely) it wouldn't kill you overnight. You'd get very sick first, sick enough to be aware something was very very wrong.

I went years without visiting the dentist (not recommended!) and had many bad abscesses, some that made parts of my face swell up. None of them became deadly. You'll be fine!

Back