Went to the dentist, told I must have molar extracted, implant not possible.

T

Tman

Went to the dentist, told I must have molar extracted, implant not possible.

Today I went to the dentist as my wisdom teeth had been giving me trouble.

I am 39 years old and apart from this have never had any trouble with my teeth. No cavities or anything.

I was told that as well as the wisdom teeth, my upper left 2nd molar is chronically decayed and will have to be extracted. If the molar beneath it starts to fill the gap above, I might lose that as well in later years.

The dentist also said that I can't have an implant, I don't understand why. I have read that this might be as the gum is close to my sinus, but I do not fully understand.

I have also read that my face might change due to a missing molar. Something to do with bone loss and shifting teeth. I've seen a few scary pictures online, of peoples faces sagging and aging prematurely due to a missing tooth or teeth.

I am seriously shocked and anxious by this news. I always assumed that if I were to have any teeth issues, it would least start off with a cavity, or something minor. Now I'm told I will lose a tooth, maybe another and I am reading about how my face might sag, or be affected by the loss of my wisdoms and molar.

This has been a sudden, unexpected shock and I'd really appreciate any advice. This month I also was told of an eye condition. Its been challenging.

Z

zombiegroupie

Re: Went to the dentist, told I must have molar extracted, implant not possible.

I was told that sometimes there isn't sufficient bone structure to place an implant and you wouldn't want to go through it and spend all the money just to have an unsuccessful implant.

My dad is missing quite a few molars and has not had any change in the shape of his face.

I know how scary it is to have health issues but try not to let your imagination go:hug4:

B

BioMan

Re: Went to the dentist, told I must have molar extracted, implant not possible.

Tman, I would must certainly seek a second opinion. My advice (and I speak from bitter experience) is not to proceed with an extraction until you are absolutely certain that the tooth can't be saved.

A

Arzoo Nasiry

It takes years for a tooth to become chronically decayed. It starts with a small cavity that grows. You may want to have a complete exam to make sure that no other problems are sneaking up on you. If you really want an implant I would have a consultation with an oral surgeon or periodontist. If you don't have enough bone a sinus lift can be done to add bone. Even if you can't have an implant, this will not change the shape of your face. Yes the opposing tooth will eventually move into the space basically extracting itself, but this takes years. A partial denture would prevent this. Most people can function just fine with one molar in each quadrant.

T

Tman

I really don't want to wear a denture. I've gone from no fillings or teeth issues ever to dentures, and I really don't want to take that option.
I spoke to someone on a dentistry helpline here in the UK, she said that if the molar underneath the extracted tooth extends, I can just have that out as well :confused: Great. That thought really cheered me up.

T

Tman

Tman, I would must certainly seek a second opinion. My advice (and I speak from bitter experience) is not to proceed with an extraction until you are absolutely certain that the tooth can't be saved.

I was told when I was 19 to have the wisdoms out.(Right now I really wish I did).

I got a second opinion, and was told tat it wasn't necessary. In fact, 2 dentists have told me this over the years. Turned out to be the wrong advice.

I will be seeing 2 more dentists before making up my mind. But from what I've read and heard so far, the wisdoms definitely have to go.