• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Went to the dentist

R

Russell73

I went to the dentist on thursday which was ok it cost far too much money and I've just been told that it only lasts 2 months then I have to pay the same again so I'm worried that it's going to laps which has made me very disappointed because I need to go to the hygienist before anything else gets done and I cant afford that also so as you may tell it's made me pretty upset because I just cant seem to get it sorted sorry for the post but I have nobody else to tell about this ???

Russell73, where abouts are you based? Are you in the UK?

But well done on going to your appointment! This is huge. Did you like the dentist you saw?

it cost far too much money and I've just been told that it only lasts 2 months then I have to pay the same again..

Thank you for coming here and giving us an update and feel free to come by to vent whenever you feel like it. Seems like things are difficult and you are doing your best. This treatment that only lasts 2 months and has the high cost - is it the cleaning or something else?

Hi thank you for your message yes it cleaning which is done by the hygienist but doesn't come with the £300 I've just paid out can only be done privately then I need time for my gums to strengthen so it dosent leave me much time to do before the payment I gave runs out I'm so gutted I am trying my best but it dont seem to be good enough

Treatment for periodontal (gum) disease is included in Band 2 NHS services. If you are paying for Band 3 (which it sounds like), then Band 2 is automatically included in this. So they are not allowed to charge you extra for the hygienist if the cleaning is clinically necessary.

See here:

Of course, in reality, many dentists do try and charge extra even though they're not supposed to. Are you in contact with any homelessness organisations in your area you may be able to help you and advocate on your behalf? I realise that you are no longer homeless, but they will often help people who have been homeless in the past.

No not anymore unfortunately I need to find out about that the hygienist told me she can only do it privately they said I had gum disease sorry it embarrassing for me I'm trying to make my gums stronger she did clean them on thursday but she wants to go under the gum but she said she only does that privately and because they need numbing I have to do it in 2 seasons at £45 a time I'm so confused now thank you for your info I really appreciate it thank you

Perhaps you could show the NHS webpage to the dental practice and ask what the story is? You could also ring the Oral Health Foundation’s free Dental Helpline and find out how to best go about getting the treatment you’re entitled to. Their phone number is 01788 539780.

Wishing you lots of luck :clover::clover::clover:

Thank you so so much I appreciate it so much I will try them thank you

I hope you'll be able to get helpful answers - please keep us updated

Thank you so much and I will

Got a bloody abyss on my front teeth now really hurting me agony

So sorry to read that :( I know your situation is a very difficult one and sadly I'm not familiar with the system in UK too well, but wondering whether there is any chance for you to get help with it? It sounds horrific.. so sorry you have to go through this..

Thank you for your message I appreciate it I will have to get it done in a couple of weeks now when I can afford it so I'm hoping pain killers will keep the pain down till then once again I thank you

If you ring 111 they should be able to hook you up with an emergency dentist. The initial cost is £22 if that is manageable? Hopefully that would get you out of pain.

If you ring 111 they should be able to hook you up with an emergency dentist. The initial cost is £22 if that is manageable? Hopefully that would get you out of pain.

Hello thank you for the message appreciate it but I'm paying off a big debt which my ex partner got me into so money is very very tight so time I pay everything what I need to pay I dont have much left which I need to get to and from work every day plus my food Bill's each month so I will wait but thank you

Hang in there Russell73, I see the hopelessness and the amount of suffering you have been through. Sending you hugs and hope the painkillers help you overcome the time until you can get treatment.

Thank you I'm trying to I get it done a week time I'm sure I will thanks for the hugs I needed them

Back