• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What a year - and still ongoing

Hi Judy
Really pleased you got good news and didn't have to wait too long - you must be relieved. However do you think it at all likely that something was completely wrong in how the x-ray was taken and that there never was any shadow? Wondering if you are getting a bad deal (unnecessary worry/root canals unnecessarily) owing to your dentist's relative lack of experience maybe.

If you are still in pain, which I guess you must be, what do you make of the explanation and what are you supposed to do about it? Are your root canalled teeth completely settled and painfree? Also ask your dentist about doing an onlay (half crown) rather than a full crown as it removes far less tooth structure and seems to be the preferred option now and what dentists would do on their own teeth - can be in gold too but ceramic also available. (NB if it's previously had a full crown, then only another full crown can be done).
Hope it works out for you and soon. :)

Hi Judy
Really pleased you got good news and didn't have to wait too long - you must be relieved. However do you think it at all likely that something was completely wrong in how the x-ray was taken and that there never was any shadow? Wondering if you are getting a bad deal (unnecessary worry/root canals unnecessarily) owing to your dentist's relative lack of experience maybe.

If you are still in pain, which I guess you must be, what do you make of the explanation and what are you supposed to do about it? Are your root canalled teeth completely settled and painfree? Also ask your dentist about doing an onlay (half crown) rather than a full crown as it removes far less tooth structure and seems to be the preferred option now and what dentists would do on their own teeth - can be in gold too but porcelain also available. (NB if it's previously had a full crown, then only another full crown can be done).
Hope it works out for you and soon. :)

Hi Brit, I think the x-ray was a bit of an anomaly - the one at the hospital showed nothing at all. I am still in pain, and I don't know what the next step is. It's being attributed to clenching/grinding, but I don't know how to stop that. I wear the mouth-guard every single night, but the consultant at the hospital said it could be putting pressure on the tooth. Maybe I need a new guard? I am also really worried about the potential of gum disease, despite being told just a few weeks ago that my gums were perfect!

The root canal teeth are fine, and I'm happy to have them crowned. They were done by an endodontist.

I am losing confidence in my own dentist, but reluctant to move surgery while I am still having issues. I've been going to this one since I was a child (which is why I'm still there as an NHS patient) and I know they have all my records from way back. My dentist isn't a new graduate, I think she's probably late 30s.

Maybe I need a new guard? I am also really worried about the potential of gum disease, despite being told just a few weeks ago that my gums were perfect!
You know the old joke about ask 5 dentists get 5 different treatment plans, I think gum pocket measurements may be similar to some extent. My recession areas (possibly from overbrushing lol) have stabilised since having regular cleans with a hygienist. Definitely ask your dentist about the discrepancy though.

The root canal teeth are fine, and I'm happy to have them crowned. They were done by an endodontist.
Great that they feel settled.

My dentist isn't a new graduate, I think she's probably late 30s.
That's not a newbie as you say, maybe post in Dentistry section to ask Gordon what he thinks solution should be. I mean nerves can die in virgin teeth but clenching etc can also cause pain similar to toothache.
Good luck.

You know the old joke about ask 5 dentists get 5 different treatment plans, I think gum pocket measurements may be similar to some extent. My recession areas (possibly from overbrushing lol) have stabilised since having regular cleans with a hygienist. Definitely ask your dentist about the discrepancy though.

Great that they feel settled.

That's not a newbie as you say, maybe post in Dentistry section to ask Gordon what he thinks solution should be. I mean nerves can die in virgin teeth but clenching etc can also cause pain similar to toothache.
Good luck.

Actually, I do have significant recession round that tooth caused by over-brushing. It was picked up at a checkup about five years ago and I was advised to switch to an electric brush, which I immediately did. At the same time I was also advised I had enamel erosion on my front teeth for the same reason. (I remember I had read an article with Cat Deeley saying that white teeth were the most important thing about a person's appearance, and had been going mad for brushing!) It was never mentioned again, and as I say, my dentist specifically flagged up how good my gums were. I wonder if it's been noted by the consultant as a new thing because he's never seen me before? I just can't believe I went from "perfect" in the Easter holidays to gum disease (not just a bit of inflammation) in three weeks. I've used disclosing tablets every night since seeing the consultant and they never show new plaque, never mind old plaque.

The teeth are definitely 100% alive. My own dentist did a cold test with stuff from a can, and the MF consultant used an electric pulp test thing which I'd never come across before.

Just updating to say I have the MRI scan tomorrow. I also appear to have swelling in the gum round my upper wisdom tooth - the opposite one was extracted about this time last year because of the same thing. I feel like this is never-ending, and am just at the end of my tether with it all now. I am so fed up of constant pain and worry, and expense.

Just updating to say I have the MRI scan tomorrow. I also appear to have swelling in the gum round my upper wisdom tooth - the opposite one was extracted about this time last year because of the same thing. I feel like this is never-ending, and am just at the end of my tether with it all now. I am so fed up of constant pain and worry, and expense.
Sorry you are still struggling. I don't think I knew you were awaiting an MRI scan. If another wisdom needs to go at least they can't grow back. I had a long run of dental stuff several years ago...it just goes like that sometimes. :XXLhug:

Oh, did I forget the MRI part?! Since I had the lower molar extracted last year - after months of treatment and about 155 visits to the surgery - I have had a weird buzzy, tingly feeling right round to the midline. Not painful, just annoying, particularly during winter when I was wearing big scarves etc. The dentist said the nerve was so angry it would take a while to settle, but it never has. I now have a similar thing above the top front tooth too, so the Max-Fax consultant referred me for an MRI to see what's going on. (From the questions he was asking, I suspect he was probing me to find out if I have MS symptoms, but I absolutely don't.)

Anyway, MRI = done. Minor freakout when I saw the tunnel thing, but I was actually fine. The staff were really kind, and they talked me through each of the scans and told me how long each one would take. I didn't need to have the contrast injection. I was in and out in about 30 minutes, including removing my jewellery, bra etc, and getting myself back together at the end.

The radiographer said the results would go to my GP within a fortnight, but my GP's not involved in the process at all (other than a routine smear test I've not seen a doctor since we moved to this house three years ago) so I don't know what the next steps are. I'm seeing my own dentist on Thursday, so I will ask her, and have another appointment booked at Max-Fax at the end of June - although that seems like a long way off to wait for test results.

I suppose if MaxFac eventually say it's not dental, it might be worth your GP referring you to neurology. That needn't mean anything serious...there are probably various drugs they can offer you to stem the 'buzzy' symptoms you describe but you may prefer to just live with the situation rather than deal with the various drugs' side effects.
At least by having a full scan, sinister stuff can easily be ruled out which then allows you to concentrate on living with the symptoms and/or taking medication.
Nerves damaged during wisdom tooth extraction can eventually settle. I had a numb area after mine which eventually went back to normal sensation. It must be really frustrating for you and you may well find your symptoms fall between 2 specialities which can cause more delay.
Best wishes.

Right, dentist today. I'm so scared about the gum disease in the front tooth, and paranoid it's loose and about to fall out. When she examined me in April she said if 100 was the tooth being about to fall out, and one was not loose at all, I would be a two. But she also said I had no gum disease, and the Max/Fax guy said I did, so... I guess I could have a little partial denture if it has to come out. The stupid thing is that my teeth actually look amazing and I always get compliments on them!

My appointment yesterday was a disaster. After the cancer clinic/MRI stuff, I just burst into tears as soon as I walked into the surgery. Whoops. I told the dentist about the six mm pocket, and that I was scared my front tooth was going to fall out, so we concentrated on that instead of doing the crowns. My tooth is not going to fall out, and the BPE test was re-done by both the dentist and the hygienist, and my dentist did another full check-up - no six mm pocket, just one three mm one between my upper wisdom tooth and the next door molar. The hygienist actually said my gums looked fantastic and I was doing everything right.

My dentist must think I am nuts, but she was very kind. So now I have two more appointments scheduled for crown prep/fit on the upper molars that had the root canals.

You would have all reasons to be nuts after what you have been through, everyone would go crazy with that. I'm sure your dental team was ok with that. They will be used to patients getting different and contradictory informations from different doctors, so don't worry. Glad to hear that your gums are ok and even more that you have a patient lovely dental team.

I'm back to the dentist tomorrow and will have the crown prep done. I'm concerned about having to have a liquid diet for two weeks, but hopefully I will lose a few pounds. I hope that she can check the front tooth and see how it's doing at the same time, I've been keeping off it completely but am still having a bit of pain, and am so paranoid about it being slightly mobile. The MRI scan results are still not in which is really annoying.

I'm concerned about having to have a liquid diet for two weeks, but hopefully I will lose a few pounds.
Have you been told you'll need a liquid diet?. A temporary crown doesn't usually cause any issues with eating normally in my experience.

I won't be able to eat on the crowns? And I can't eat on the other side because of the front tooth.

Temp crowns are in and very sharp and sore against my cheek, so may need to go back and get them filed down - the dentist said they often pop off after a few days anyway.

FFS, the dentist rang today to say one of the impressions is no use and the lab needs it to be redone. They wanted me to come in at 2pm today, but I'm a teacher and can't just waltz out of my classes with no notice. Back tomorrow afternoon, so I suppose this is going to have a knock-on effect on the final crowns being fitted, which is supposed to be next week. SO fed up trailing back and forth now, and just want all this to be finished.

The crowns are in - so that marks the end of a year of pain/treatment with that upper molar. Hurrah!

Now I just want to get to the bottom of what's causing the pain in the top front tooth, which is still mobile (but no gum disease anywhere in my mouth, nor has there ever been). The dentist said it is bordering on being grade 1 mobility, and described it as the sort of fractional movement a person would have after having braces, but I am really scared. I'm back at Max-Fax next week, and hopefully they will have the results of the MRI scan - it's almost five weeks now and still nothing at my GP surgery.

Today I'm going back to the Maxillo Facial clinic. I'll get the results of the MRI, and I really hope some sort of plan for going forward. I am really nervous, and am scared they will suggest having the front tooth removed.

Wishing you a good appointment Judy! i hope you get good answers and fears are relieved and they are helpful!

A very delayed update - I am on summer holidays and couldn’t remember my login at home.

So, I saw the consultant at MF. He said the MRI showed nothing, and re-examined the front tooth, pronouncing it completely healthy and “solid”. I asked if the tooth was loose, and he said no. Hurrah. He’s suggested I have a different night guard which goes on the bottom, and means the top front tooth won’t be clenching into it. If that doesn’t help, the next step will be to prescribe nerve blocking drugs, which would take the edge off the pain. However he warned that these have nasty side effects. He also said an “elective” root canal could be done, but that he wouldn’t recommend it on a healthy tooth.

i am now waiting on my dentist getting his letter, so she can request that the health board allow me to have the new guard paid by the NHS. I can pay privately, but I have spent so much thus year and it would be about £600. I really hope this can all be sorted in the next month while I am still off work, because I had so much time off for appointments last academic year. My manager has been so supportive, but it was embarrassing.

I feel like I am clenching a bit less because I am not under as much stress.

Back