• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What a year - and still ongoing

So, I am still waiting to hear anything about the new mouth guard, and still in pain - I understand that holidays are probably delaying things, but I am so fed up. The pain seems to move around my upper left teeth and gums, which I guess ties into the “atypical facial pain” diagnosis, and I understand why my dentist doesn’t want to just do a root canal in case it’s actually not even the front tooth that’s the problem. Sometimes the pain feels like it’s even in my nose.

I keep thinking about different scenarios - what if there is a huge infection in there? But then I have had numerous x-rays, an MRI, and seen two different maxillo facial consultants as well as my own dentist. Surely something would have shown up? What if I need all the teeth out? But again, all the professionals say the teeth and gums are healthy. What if the new mouthguard doesn’t help? If I end up on the nerve drugs for atypical facial pain, I think the side-effects are horrendous and would impact my work. Mainly I just keep wondering why this is happening. I have never, ever missed a dental checkup, have always had any work I needed done as soon as it was needed, even though I am a nervous patient, and I have always brushed/flossed etc. It just doesn’t seem fair.

I am just ranting and moaning, tbh. I did email the surgery on Friday afternoon to ask for an update, so hopefully I will hear something soon - my Dentist doesn’t work on a Monday. I’m back at work next week and feel embarrassed that I am going to need time off for more appointments after having six weeks of holidays. My manager must think I am a right skiver!

How are things now? I was just reading your post, and I have been going through a similar situation, and am worried about everything spiraling out of control as well. I have a failed root canal, had to have a wisdom tooth extraction, going in for an apicoectomy to fix the failed root canal, and also have a lower molar on the opposite side that seems to be going bad (has hurt for over a month). The dentist wants to refer me to the endodontist for the lower molar, but I am having the apico this week and I can't deal with another appointment right now. I have been on a soft food diet for almost 3 months now due to all these tooth issues.
I hope your teeth are feeling better now.

How are things now? I was just reading your post, and I have been going through a similar situation, and am worried about everything spiraling out of control as well. I have a failed root canal, had to have a wisdom tooth extraction, going in for an apicoectomy to fix the failed root canal, and also have a lower molar on the opposite side that seems to be going bad (has hurt for over a month). The dentist wants to refer me to the endodontist for the lower molar, but I am having the apico this week and I can't deal with another appointment right now. I have been on a soft food diet for almost 3 months now due to all these tooth issues.
I hope your teeth are feeling better now.

It’s all-consuming, isn’t it? I read posts on here from people who have never been to the dentist, and need a couple of fillings, and yet here i am - it doesn’t seem fair! I think about my teeth all the time, and teeth are the first thing I notice whenever I meet someone. Ironically, my teeth actually look great, really white and straight. Which tooth are you having the root surgery on? I have gaps on both sides at the bottom, and no-one ever notices, and I can eat fine. Something that really resonated with me was when my dentist to,d me that once a tooth has had any restoration, it is compromised and essentially on its way out - although that could take 50 years. I have hastened these teeth’s demise with clenching, a habit I just can’t seem to break, even though the source of the stress has now largely been removed. Urgh!

It’s all-consuming, isn’t it? I read posts on here from people who have never been to the dentist, and need a couple of fillings, and yet here i am - it doesn’t seem fair! I think about my teeth all the time, and teeth are the first thing I notice whenever I meet someone. Ironically, my teeth actually look great, really white and straight. Which tooth are you having the root surgery on? I have gaps on both sides at the bottom, and no-one ever notices, and I can eat fine. Something that really resonated with me was when my dentist to,d me that once a tooth has had any restoration, it is compromised and essentially on its way out - although that could take 50 years. I have hastened these teeth’s demise with clenching, a habit I just can’t seem to break, even though the source of the stress has now largely been removed. Urgh!

The apicoectomy is on my upper back left molar, #15. I had my wisdom teeth out as a kid, and had my premolars extracted for orthodontia, so even though it wouldn't show when I talk or smile, I kind of need it for chewing. The oral surgeon who removed my extra (yes, another one!) wisdom tooth said it wouldn't be missed much, but would affect my chewing. The issue is that I am probably going to need a root canal on the bottom right molar fairly soon, based on how badly it has been hurting for the past month. It is all consuming, as you said! The pain is bad tonight, and I am just hoping to make it until after the apicoectomy. The main reason I opted for the apico rather than extraction is that I would have to get it extracted through the oral surgeon due to the roots being in the sinus cavity. He said I may need a sinus lift or bone graft, which would cost much more than the apico. If I end up needing it extracted anyway, I will have lost the gamble, but right now I couldn't afford the extraction. The endo is only charging half for the apico.

I was back at the dentist yesterday to get impressions for my new night guard. This time it’s a hard, lower splint. I go back on 5 September to collect it and have it adjusted if need be. I asked her whether I should be eating on the front teeth (I haven’t since February) and she said I need to try and build my confidence with soft things first, but that the teeth are perfectly healthy and I should be eating on them. I told her how scared I was of losing the front tooth, and she said I was more likely to fall on the street and knock it out than to need to have it extracted. (And that falling and knocking a tooth out was actually very hard to do!)

Annoyingly, I had a letter from Max Fac this morning moving my next appointment with them forward to the end of September. I deliberately booked it for October half-term so I wouldn’t need more time off work. The consultant I see only works on a Thursday, when I teach back to back, so it couldn’t be less convenient. I am grateful my manager is so supportive.

Today I go back to the dentist to collect my new night-guard. I haven't been wearing the current one for the last few days because the gum round my upper right wisdom tooth has been really sore and swollen - the dentist told me the guard could be irritating it because it's no longer a good fit. I am hoping she will look at the wisdom tooth when I go, but I feel so embarrassed asking her.

I am sure she thinks I am a total idiot, and even that I invent problems. My next checkup is scheduled for the end of October.

I am sure she thinks I am a total idiot, and even that I invent problems.

Inventing problems, that's what dental fear is about so it's entirely normal :giggle: I am sure your dentist won't mind having a look at your wisdom teeth.

Hope your new night guard will fit, let us know how your visit was.

Inventing problems, that's what dental fear is about so it's entirely normal :giggle: I am sure your dentist won't mind having a look at your wisdom teeth.

Hope your new night guard will fit, let us know how your visit was.

Thanks for your support.

I am frustrated that I have gone from a person who went to the dentist happily every six months, had a checkup and a scale and polish, didn’t worry about treatment if I needed it (apart from always being scared of needles) to someone who is obsessed with my teeth.

Anyway, I have the new guard, which feels very hard and tight, and she examined the wisdom tooth. She said it was inflamed, but not infected, and that the tooth itself is fine. She also looked at the lower molar which has felt tender round the gum since the wisdom tooth started up - it had root canal last November, took ages to settle, but has been fine since, so it is a weird coincidence. I said I thought it had come out in sympathy with the wisdom tooth, and she said it was probably related, and to ring in a week if it hadn’t calmed down. Again, she saw no issues with the tooth or gums, although she didn’t x-ray it. Hopefully it will settle. I had a full mouth x-ray in May which was totally clear.

This is going to be my last post here for the time being, and my last post on this forum for now.

I was back at Maxillo Facial yesterday and have been diagnosed with atypical facial pain/burning mouth syndrome. My teeth are all in perfect health, but my facial nerves are mis-firing, which is causing the pain I'm experiencing. The consultant told me to go out and buy/eat a crusty baguette, to prove to myself that my teeth are fine - but I wasn't quite bold enough to try!

I've been advised to reduce stress, and to try and stop worrying about my teeth which is part of the overall problem. I've been obsessing about it so much, it's made me quite mad. I think staying away from dental related media sites is something that might help manage that. I was offered medication to damp down my nerves, but am going to wait until my next appointment in December to see whether or not I want to try that.

Thank you all so much for your support, and all the best to everyone.

Back