• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What can i expect? Super anxious

• Thread starter Worsethangivingbirth
  • Start date
W

Worsethangivingbirth

Hi all,

Last week I went to my first dental appointment in over 2 decades. I thought I had a dental emergency, but it turns out I didnt. I had a chipped molar and was in some pain. Even though it's not an emergency, she agreed to fill it on wednesday morning.

I actually dont know what to expect. I watched a video on youtube of a filling, but I didnt realize it takes so long. I'm so worried my mouth is going to be dry and I might have a panic attack. I should also add that the dentist was not the nicest and did nothing but make me more anxious when I was there last week by forcing me to look at my gums and teeth in a mirror which I said I didnt want to do.

Anyway, I was hoping some of you lovely folks could walk me through what to expect. How long does this usually take? Can I eat before or how long until I can eat after? I assume drinking water is off of the table until after the procedure is done. Im actually going to try not to drink a couple hrs before going because I will definitely need to pee! Are they going to clean around the tooth to make sure there is no food trapped in there? That's one of my biggest fears.

Thanks in advance! ?

Hi Worsethangivingbirth,

Welcome to our little forum. Great that you made an appointment. I hope it is the beginning of a new journey of overcoming your dental anxiety and treating all your dental issues.
If you don't like the dentist and have doubts about his or her ability to address your needs then why at all continue with them? If it is not an emergency (meaning there is not too much discomfort from that tooth) I would recommend investing the time and effort in visiting other practices until you find Mr. or Mrs. right.
When meeting a dentist, it I very important to say right from the start what your concerns and needs. It does not take long and can really make a huge difference. I made a video just about that.
The time needed for a filling varies between cases and dentists, it can vary between 5 till 30 minutes.
During that time you don't have to stay with your mouth open, it is OK to ask to stop and have a rinse. There is only one stage of the filling then it is crucial to keep the working field dry and that is when the filling is being built-up, and that usually takes about 5 minutes.
You can eat before and usually also after, the only limitation is the numbness that can make eating and drinking tricky and that is relevant only for the lower jaw.
I can guarantee you there will be no food stack under or next to the filling. The dentist will have direct vision and can not allow and left overs to be there.
Fingers crossed it goes well.

Hi Worsethangivingbirth,

Welcome to our little forum. Great that you made an appointment. I hope it is the beginning of a new journey of overcoming your dental anxiety and treating all your dental issues.
If you don't like the dentist and have doubts about his or her ability to address your needs then why at all continue with them? If it is not an emergency (meaning there is not too much discomfort from that tooth) I would recommend investing the time and effort in visiting other practices until you find Mr. or Mrs. right.
When meeting a dentist, it I very important to say right from the start what your concerns and needs. It does not take long and can really make a huge difference. I made a video just about that.
The time needed for a filling varies between cases and dentists, it can vary between 5 till 30 minutes.
During that time you don't have to stay with your mouth open, it is OK to ask to stop and have a rinse. There is only one stage of the filling then it is crucial to keep the working field dry and that is when the filling is being built-up, and that usually takes about 5 minutes.
You can eat before and usually also after, the only limitation is the numbness that can make eating and drinking tricky and that is relevant only for the lower jaw.
I can guarantee you there will be no food stack under or next to the filling. The dentist will have direct vision and can not allow and left overs to be there.
Fingers crossed it goes well.
Thank you so much for your reply!

I would LOVE to go to another dentist, but unfortunately there aren't many options around here with covid ? many are closed, except to their own patients. I also have thought of leaving it and doing it down the road when dental offices begin opening for regular service, but because my insurance has already paid for the xrays and lab fees, I'm not sure I could get more coverage for that. I can actually feel pain still too. She prescribed me paroex, as my gums are in rough shape, and I think its helping but I have like a stinging type sensation on my gum near that tooth. I'm hoping the filling will help that?

Maybe the covid19 will turn out to be helpful. Many in this forum testify that their dentists these days are more relaxed and unrushed.
I don’t know about the stinging feeling.

Maybe the covid19 will turn out to be helpful. Many in this forum testify that their dentists these days are more relaxed and unrushed.
I don’t know about the stinging feeling.
So I just got back from my appointment and it went FAR better than I had imagined. She was in a much better mood, definitely more relaxed and was great acknowledging and even easing my anxiety. Thank you for posting that very helpful video the other day ?

I even booked an appointment for a cleaning on June 30th. I honestly cant believe it, after all these years I'm finally facing my biggest fear. I cant wait to get started on fixing everything up after so much neglect.

Wow, that's some great news! So glad all went well and now you even have a cleaning. Amazing. Well done! :jump::jump::jump:

Back