• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

What could cause gum to be burning for no reason though.

A

asiangal555

I have some burning feeling in my gum though I don't know the cause of it. I have anxiety that it wont go away. Does anyone know what can cause this. Anything to help it. Any advice would be cool. Thanks.

B

badmouth

I have some burning feeling in my gum though I don't know the cause of it. I have anxiety that it wont go away. Does anyone know what can cause this. Anything to help it. Any advice would be cool. Thanks.
If this has gone on for a while you could have Burning Mouth Syndrome. I have had this symptom now and then. The best thing you can do is keep your mouth as healthy as possible. I also had good results from swishing a clonazepam around in my mouth.

S

Scared all the time

I have this too occasionally I also suffer from anxiety and going through menopause, hormones fluxes don’t know if it’s related but scares me to death

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Don't be scared about it, it's never a sign of anything serious, just really, really annoying and frustrating!

Menopause with all the associated hormone disturbances can cause it, as can a slight decrease in your blood's iron count, so can a candida albicans infection, so can a few other things, without examining you and doing some blood tests it's hard to give you a diagnosis over the internet.

What you could do as a starter is increase the amount of folic acid in your diet, plenty of green vegetables, Special K cereal is pretty high in folate too apparently. It's usually stress related too so try not to get too worked up about it (easy for me to say!).

S

Scared all the time

Don't be scared about it, it's never a sign of anything serious, just really, really annoying and frustrating!

Menopause with all the associated hormone disturbances can cause it, as can a slight decrease in your blood's iron count, so can a candida albicans infection, so can a few other things, without examining you and doing some blood tests it's hard to give you a diagnosis over the internet.

What you could do as a starter is increase the amount of folic acid in your diet, plenty of green vegetables, Special K cereal is pretty high in folate too apparently. It's usually stress related too so try not to get too worked up about it (easy for me to say!).
Thank you Gordon! The past couple years have been horrible with dental fears. I was terrified it was a symptom of gum disease although I saw a periodontist last summer who said my mouth looked great (did the pocket probe and all) I’m terrified the burning meant my gums are receding more and more. Fear is a horrible thing to live with daily. Thank you so much for you response and kind reassuring words ❤

L

LittleLynnie

Also, if you smoke, the gums can feel like that. It happened to me years ago, and I was fine after I quit smoking. It didn't start when I started smoking, by the way, but years into my habit.

S

Scared all the time

Also, if you smoke, the gums can feel like that. It happened to me years ago, and I was fine after I quit smoking. It didn't start when I started smoking, by the way, but years into my habit.
Thank you. Yes that’s one of my main goals this year. I’m so tired of worrying I don’t want to cause anymore unnecessary damage 😕 wished I quit years ago or stayed quit when I had 18 months 😢 I So stupid

L

LittleLynnie

It's never easy to quit. I'd smoked since I was 14, but always planned to quit when I had children. I suppose because I knew that ahead of time, I was able to do so without too much grief. Good luck if you try again.

S

Scared all the time

I never smoked til after kids. I started late 27. Now I fear all these dental things I’m terrified about I caused by being stupid. I know I have to quit I just need to do it. Thank you for you support and reply. And congrats on your quitting. It’s not easy but you did it!