• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What do you do to calm yourself down? Coping techniques.

P

ParaTed

So just wondered, what does everyone do when they're anxious to cope or make themselves feel better? I've got a looming appointment on Thursday and so far, I'm fairly calm

i do lots of things, some are counter productive and negative, some things are definitely the better options, which are the ones I'll focus on. Hopefully we can all pick up some hints and tips from each other here.

Listening to music, I have a few albums that I chill out too, after a stressful or anxious day coming home and putting these on helps me find peace. If I'm too worked up however this is a no go!

A hot bath, sometimes convincing myself this will help is the hardest bit, I debate it for hours but when I eventually decided to give it a go I never want to get out again. It feels like a safe place.

Going for a walk, again this is something I have to convince myself to do, I always feel so relaxed afterwards though.

So what do you do?

Hi,

Just before an appointment - rescue remedy and kalms/quiet life. Sometimes take diazepam and additionally the night before.

I am also prone to get asthma attacks when my anxiety peaks so a hot bath helps ease my breathing and helps to relax me ever so slightly. Visualisation techniques also help although they take months of practice. Also I have used meditation in the past to help me with daunting medical proceedures.

Hi stupiddentalfear, visualisation techniques? I've never heard of those before, what do you visualise and when? Before or during appointments? Thanks for the reply

I remind myself that I have a lovely family who love me unconditionally whether I have teeth or no teeth.Then I remind myself that I am harming them because they hate to see how my anxiety affects me.
I realise not everyone has a supportive network and that is why this forum is invaluable.It helps to log in here and see that I am not the only one facing fears.

I find it depends on how close I am to the appointment day/time and how anxious I am.

Further out, I find hypnosis and relaxation techniques really helpful. And creative stuff - photography is my thing, so an afternoon spent in the botanic gardens with my camera really soothes me.

...but then as it gets really close I just can't make my head cooperate, so then it's more about short term distraction. Things that are very easy to engage with and don't take too much concentration - something like colouring in, or watching something daft on television. A really silly laugh-out-loud comedy is quite good for blowing off steam.

Hi ParaTed,

I can't remember where it comes from. I think Paul McKenna promotes a version of it. Basically you think of a place where you feel your most comfortable and relaxed and for a few minutes each day, in peace and quiet, visualise this place. Whilst you do this press your forefinger and thumb together. Start by doing it for a few minutes each day and then increase the amount of time you use your visualisation over the next few months. For me my special place was a beach I had visited in Cyprus. I visualised the waves, the colour of the sea, focused on how relaxed I felt at the time and tried to incorporate my other senses i.e. how the sand felt, the smell of the sea air etc.

I hope this helps.

Green tea for me because it has a amino acid that helps calm me, also celery has 3nb in it that can have calming effects. I learned that I cant control everything and learn to deal with it

Back