• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What does a phobic look like!

N

Nat

I was just curious as to what some people think us phobics actually look like, ar we supposed to have an I am petrified of the dentist sticker on our car windscreens or carry a card with us at all time!? I only say this because I had to see a lady I know yesterday and I was just chatting about work and why my heart isnt in it this week and I told her about my phobia, I didnt tell her exactly how bad it was but she came out with the comment about me not looking like I was that scared So it made me think what people who dont have this phobia think we all look like!

hi nat
blonde hair,blue eyes, overweight animal lover ;D or the person in the waiting room sweating buckets in the middle of the winter white as i ghost looking like there going to run away.

hehe yeh I guess thats what we look like! It just made me laugh they way she came out with well you dont look like your that scared of going!

I've been told I have a very calm, stable, soothing demeanor, which is very reassuring, particularly in times of crisis. But nonetheless, dang, I'm really scared of the dentist. Whew. :)

I am small and petite (uk size 6), always dressed smart, with not a hair out of place, never out without a little make-up, nails always manicured etc. BUT, a smile on my face would tell that i am dental phobic!! My teeth were horrid!!!!!

Brunette, green eyes, 5'4", slender size 10 (uk). I have tattoos discreetly placed on my lower back and right shoulder, a long with a navel piercing.

I am usually pacing the floor in the waiting room, checking my watch and shaking from head to toe.

Andria said:
Brunette, green eyes, 5'4", slender size 10 (uk).  I have tattoos discreetly placed on my lower back and right shoulder, a long with a navel piercing.

I am usually pacing the floor in the waiting room, checking my watch and shaking from head to toe.

That's interesting... minus the tattoos and naval piercing you just described me lol

harper said:
hi nat
blonde hair,blue eyes, overweight animal lover ;D or the person in the waiting room sweating buckets in the middle of the winter white as i ghost looking like there going to run away.

Ha, Ha, sounds like me except I have hazel eyes! I'm 45. My oral surgeon had no clue until I showed up for surgery and took a deep breath when I saw the chair. That was his first clue. What nailed it was when he hooked me up to the heart monitor. What does a phobic look like? Just like you and me!

Well I'm about 5ft with long dark red hair, dark brown eyes and I'm a rather errr.... 'curvacious' size 18 (uk) :p. I'm usually the one who throws up down the drain outside before I go into the building and again when I come out! :redface: Failing that, I can be found in the waiting room either pacing up and down like a caged tiger wearing holes in the carpet or trembling in the corner like a frightened dog!

A car sticker would be fun - I'd put it next to my "I like cats - they taste like chicken" sticker! ;D

I suppose in my case they look like a short, heavy set some what corpulent young man with a dark brown ponytail, a mustash and beard, pail skin and hassle eyes.

In my case nervous waiting room behaviour is usually a matter of ridged robotic like pacing, intense observation of the room and maybe muttering.
Hum aren't there a lot of girls answering this thread.

5' 10", 180lb, medium to small build, 31" waist, 38yrs old, Brown Eyed, Black haired, Dark skinned caucasian male. I look and sound like Clint Black if I put on a cowboy hat. I've actually passed myself off as Clint a few times during my wilder single years just for fun. :)

I'm a very small (uk size 4 and US size 0), young looking (look 16, am nearly 30) teacher. My waiting room habits include going to the bathroom 40 times just to calm down, occasionally weaving back and forth, and saying "I'm ok. It's ok. I'm ok. God, oh god god god god. No, I'm ok. I'm..." you get the picture. Does this sound like the confident leader who shapes young children's minds???

young looking (look 16, am nearly 30)

I suffer this problem too. :XXLhug:I am 28 but only look about 16, The other day I was in the Pharmacy buying Antiperspirant spray (in a aeorosol can). When i got to the till they asked me for my age, gave them my date of birth, then she said - do you have any photocard ID on you? Normally i carry my drivers licence, but I'd left my purse in the car and was paying for it out of loose change. They wouldn't serve me - How embarassing is that. :redface:

Just thought i'd share. :cheers:

p.s I went back two days later, with my drivers licence, went to the same sales girl, handed her my ID, bought said can of deodorant and she apologised for being snotty with me. :jump:

You have to be a certain age to buy spray deoderant???!!!! ARe you serious? Is this because of crystal meth?

Yeah, in the UK you have to be over 16 to buy aerosols, Turps/methylated spirits (for use in decorating) and any strong adhesives, because of the law surrounding solvent abuse.

16 for tobacco, 21 for alcohol, I don't know what the rules are in the US.

I have to constantly carry my ID now, it saves embarrissing situations. :redface:

Andria said:
16 for tobacco, 21 for alcohol

I thought it was 18 for alcohol?

It is officially, but most pubs, nightclubs, supermarkets and even off licences now ask for you to be over 21. Think it's because the goverment are trying to combat binge drinking.

Wow, that must be new?  I lived in England from 2003-early 2005 and I had never even heard of it.  I'm now in Canada and we have no laws regarding that, but maybe there will be as meth becomes more and more of a problem.

Don't take me as gospel, but certainly in the area of England where i live (Cumbria) these rules seem to have been brought in over the last 4-5 months.

I suppose i shouldn't complain about having a youthful complexion, when i'm 60 I might only look 30 :jump:

Back