• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

What does getting a filling feel like?

L

luke88

What does getting a few fillings feel like??

T

Tryingtoovercome

I’ve only had fillings while numb so I can only describe that experience
the drilling doesn’t feel like anything at all. Then the dentist will scrape your tooth to remove the decay. That doesn’t feel like anything but some pressure. Not bad pressure or anything it doesn’t hurt a bit. Sometimes my dentist uses a different type of drill that vibrates to remove the decay and you can just feel the vibration but nothing else. After all of the decay is removed, they put the filling in and that doesn’t feel like anything at all.

L

luke88

I’ve only had fillings while numb so I can only describe that experience
the drilling doesn’t feel like anything at all. Then the dentist will scrape your tooth to remove the decay. That doesn’t feel like anything but some pressure. Not bad pressure or anything it doesn’t hurt a bit. Sometimes my dentist uses a different type of drill that vibrates to remove the decay and you can just feel the vibration but nothing else. After all of the decay is removed, they put the filling in and that doesn’t feel like anything at all.
What did the injections feel like?

T

Tryingtoovercome

What did the injections feel like?

Just like a pinch. They put numbing gel on your gums first where they will inject so your gums are already pretty numb before the needle goes in. On a scale of 1-10 its like a 1 or 2. Just a small pinch

L

luke88

Just like a pinch. They put numbing gel on your gums first where they will inject so your gums are already pretty numb before the needle goes in. On a scale of 1-10 its like a 1 or 2. Just a small pinch
I have to have 6 fillings done, do you reckon this will take long?
And How many injections do you reckon they will give me for this?

M

Matt8110

I have to have 6 fillings done, do you reckon this will take long?
And How many injections do you reckon they will give me for this?
In my experience they usually don't do 6 at a time, I've had them do 2-3 max and that's usually just with one to two injections

L

luke88

In my experience they usually don't do 6 at a time, I've had them do 2-3 max and that's usually just with one to two injections
They told me to go back in a week last monday for 6 fillings so I'm not 2 sure??

T

Thephilsblogbar

Most I had done is two at one time, just like Tryingtoovercome has mention it just a small pinch, which does not last long, tell the dentist if you nervous, maybe able to help ease the injection slowly and painless as possible for you.

T

Tryingtoovercome

They told me to go back in a week last Monday for 6 fillings so I'm not 2 sure??
I'm wondering if your dentist wants to do 6 at the same time because they are really small and will be easy to fill? I would clarify this. As other members mentioned, they usually do only 2 or 3 at one time.
The time it takes depends on how big the cavity is. I got two big ones filled and it took about 25 mins for both.
If you are not comfortable having all 6 done in one sitting don't be afraid to speak up. Dentist will come up with a treatment plan but ultimately it is up to you and your comfort level so maybe start out with 1 or 2 small ones to get a feel then go back for the rest

L

luke88

I'm wondering if your dentist wants to do 6 at the same time because they are really small and will be easy to fill? I would clarify this. As other members mentioned, they usually do only 2 or 3 at one time.
The time it takes depends on how big the cavity is. I got two big ones filled and it took about 25 mins for both.
If you are not comfortable having all 6 done in one sitting don't be afraid to speak up. Dentist will come up with a treatment plan but ultimately it is up to you and your comfort level so maybe start out with 1 or 2 small ones to get a feel then go back for the rest
Yea I think their small ones their in my front teeth, they look like tiny holes and to be honest I'd rather just get them all done in one go..

L

luke88

Yea I think their small ones their in my front teeth in-between the gaps , they look like tiny holes and to be honest I'd rather just get them all done in one go..