• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What does "sticky" mean for cavities?

E

Eshy

I have an obvious cavity on one of my back molars it kind of scares me as I can see a black spot on the surface of the tooth but I can also see that there is black underneath where I can see through the tooth a little on the side. I asked my dentist about it an he said "I don't do 'em unless they're sticky" He didn't really explain more than that.

What does he mean by sticky?

relatively soft to touch with sharp hard point.

I may be being stupid here but I would have thought a dentist would do a small filling where there is a small cavity thus preventing a bigger job at a later date or an infection getting in there.

I like preventative dentistry rather than letting things get out of hand. When somebody has got to a dentist I would hope they would do the small stuff therefore building up confidence with the patient over having treatment.

I hope this practice isn't usual or is it a case of not having the knowledge and it is normal to leave small holes in teeth, and they wouldn't do damage.

So does that mean they're just more decayed?

How likely is it to become sticky by the next 6 months? It won't get significantly worse in 6 months assuming i have normal brush/floss habits right? I don't want anything to have to be done other than a filling next time.

:confused:

@carole yeah, I like the idea of preventing worse things from happening. I'm sure if I asked him he would do it but I don't want it to perpetuate into a bigger problem later. I'm not sure of I trust his judgement.

If you think he would do it now rather than leave it, I would have it done now. I don't want to put my insecurities onto you but it would drive me mad knowing I had this and it was left. It may be fine but if I had the choice I would want it done now.

I don't know if this is right or wrong we are not dentists, maybe a dentist on here will come back to you with an opinion.

After saying this thinking about it I have a very small brown mark on one of my teeth it doesn't show when I talk or anything and it's been there for years. I once asked about it and was told it was okay. I think I will ask my dentist, because I see a different dentist now.

You have got me wondering now. Maybe we will find out. I'm keeping my eyes on this the curiosity is killing me.

Ooooooooo I wouldn't like this, I don't get why he would not just do it now before it becomes 'sticky' ???? Surely it would be a really easy job now and save a bigger cavity ? Maybe I am missing something here too. :cry:

Well maybe it's cause I pretty much maxed out our insurance already... I don't know. As far as I know the only motive for not doing it is because it isnt "sticky". I hoping he's not just thinking its more money for him if he lets it get worse enough for a more expensive procedure. I mean, he's super nice to me and very respective of my needs concerning my fears... I don't think he'd be that kind of guy at least. I hope not. It doesn't matter though because I am WAY too scared to see another dentist. The risk is too high. ):

Maybe its just a stain in a fissure...........there's also remineralization of early decay. Cavities take a very, very long time ...........it's not an overnight emergency. There has also been a lot of bad press lately about unncessary fillings in pre-cavities ...........There's an article around here somewhere that brit posted. Can't put my finger on it at the moment.

Thanks RP. I know it's not a stain, because I asked him... But I think I'm not too worried about it anymore. I was thinking about those years that I already had cavities that I just let them go. They weren't awful after being left so long so I think I'm just gonna leave it up to the dentist. He's a smart guy and I trust him. :)

That's a good idea. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Good that you have faith in your dentist. I have faith in mine too, I'm still going to ask him about my mark on my tooth though. I intend to go by what he says like you.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't have much reason not to trust him yet anyway. Besides, he's the one that went to dental school, not me.

I wish you the best with your little unknown spot! Eheh.

Let us know what he says.

Back