• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

What forms of anxiety control /help work for you?

• Thread starter krlovesherkids777
  • Start date

What methods of anxiety help work for you in the dental office? What does your dentist use ?

• Tell-Show-Do

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Desensitization

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Sedation

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Nitrous

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Distraction

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Controlling environment (less clinical clothes, dental instruments not out to be seen)

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Stop signs

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Hypnosis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Humor

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Just being compassionate, gentle and non shaming without specific methods

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • wand or other gadgets to help anxiety

• Relaxation techniques

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Other?

• Total voters
krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wondering what methods of anxiety relief/help work for you at the dental office ? what does your dentist use?

I know for me, my previous dentist used distraction, environment control (telling me to close my eyes before the injection, and making sure all the little pieces he'd be using weren't out and about for met to fret about) and humor , along with being shamefree,gentle and patient. Also always respected stop sign.

My current dentist is shamefree, gentle and compassionate, respects my stopsigns and makes sure I know what is going on by talking to be before and after about questions and plan. Hes very focused when working so not a talker and joker during. but very caring for his patients , you can tell. so I feel more at ease during the procedure because of this and the trust I've built.

How about you? If we could tell dentists what really works what would you tell them?

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine seem to mirror yours. Distraction either via small talk, chatting with the assistant, or letting me use my headphones to listen to music (I didn’t start using music until about 2 years ago) prior to that, I wanted her to talk to me throughout. She does a little bit of environment control in that nothing is really sitting out in plain sight prior to treatment. Instrument trays are away and or covered but that’s not super important to me. She used a lot of tell-show-do or just aspects of it early on, but not so much anymore as I’m familiar with most things or I just trust her to a point that I don’t need constant explanations about every little thing. She has a sense of humor but I wouldn’t say she’s particularly funny. Usually we are laughing at her assistant who often does goofy things. She’s been very gentle and patient with me from the beginning and established a stop signal with me early on which I think has been the ultimate make or break of the relationship. She always shows concern for my well being and will stop to check in if I’m showing signs of being stressed or in pain or just generally anxious/overwhelmed.

This is going to sound odd but she has certain go to phrases that she says a specific way at a specific time (at just about every appointment) that seems to disarm my anxiety. It’s almost hypnosis-like. I don’t know if that’s done intentionally or if she just has a bit of script that she always follows but It’s like she has key phrases that I’ve learned to associate with relaxation over the years and when I hear them they just instantly relax me and I can feel all of the stress and tension drain out my body.

G

Geraint

My dentist is very good at explaining the procedures to me and reassuring me during the treatment. I also find listening to a relaxation CD with headphones helps to drown out the sound of the drill and helped me relax