• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What is the difference between Citanest Plain and Carbocaine?

K

KatieH

I have multiple chemical allergies and finally found a doctor who would test me on dental anesthetics.
My dentist wanted to use carbocaine (without epi) on me but I tested poorly on it and other anesthetics.
The only one that didn't give me a reaction was Citanest plain.

What is the difference between Carbocaine & Citanest? I have been to a couple dentists around here for a 2nd opinon & they all told me that they use Carbocaine for pregnant women b/c it is very well tolerated. Is Citanest similarly well tolerated?

Still nervous about having the work done, but at least now I have some idea on how my body responds to different anesthetics. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi KatieH
Carbocaine, also known as Mepivocaine is a different chemical to Citanest (also known as Prilocaine). They are quite similar in their actual effect.
In most cases the cause of the allergy is not the local anaesthetic itself, but the preservative mixed with it. both Carbocaine and Citanest are generally well tolerated.

Good luck with your treatment.
Lincoln

Back