• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What is the difference between conscious sedation and general anesthesia?

S

sharon

I am having "general anesthesia" for am implant next week, I'll be getting versed and fentanyl. I was told by the nurse if it was just versed it would be considered conscious sedation but adding fentaynl makes it GA. However, she said, I will not have a breathing tube.

Based on past surgeries and procedures, my understanding is that with GA, one is unscousious and cannot breath on their own and much have a breathing tube. Also, in the past if I had GA, I first had to have blood work and be cleared by medical personnel, but none of this is happening.

Obviously I'm confused as to what I am getting.

In addition he prescribed 10 mgs of valium the night before and 10 mgs that morning and will be giving me 12.5 mgs of promethazine. Is the valium really necessary? If I wasn't going to be put to sleep I would need it but since I'll be asleep and not aware of anything why bother taking it?

I'm trying to minimize groggy feelings afterwards, feels like I'm fighting a losing battle, especially with the addition of valium. I don't even want to be put to sleep for this but the surgeon is giving me no choice.

Re: What is the difference between conscious sedation and general anesthesia?

I will be interested to know these answers too....I also though GA was unconscious. I have sedation this week and it was conscious....Very relaxed state but dulls pain sensory and you stay awake and can still respond.

Many articles talk about doing implants under IV sedation but I'm sure there are many types.

Fentanyl can be used for sedation as well. You will be unconscious under GA and as previously mentioned you will require a machine to help you breathe.

Fentanyl can be used for sedation as well. You will be unconscious under GA and as previously mentioned you will require a machine to help you breathe.

Hmmm, now I'm more confused than ever because I seriously doubt I'll be having a machine to help me breathe as I was told I won't even have a breathing tube. But I was also told it will definitely be GA, not CS. I can't imagine the dentist would even be allowed to do GA in an office setting without an anesthesiologist present.

I've had CS several times and as far as I'm concerned I was "unconscious" totally out of it, nothing like a lot of people describe as "very relaxed and sleepy but aware." I would much rather "very relaxed and sleepy but aware" than out of it. I'm hoping he'll give me enough to make me feel good but not totally knock me out. Perhaps I am just more sensitive to it than the average person.

I think my biggest fear with all of this is that of my fear of vomiting. Even though I will be getting promethazine, I'm afraid he will forget or it won't work or something. ugh!!

Back