• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

What is this hard white lump on my gum? A tooth coming through?

C

CatLady

Hi everyone. I am new here. I suffer from a fear of the dentist as well as panic disorder and agoraphobia

I'm 23 yr old female with no major health complaints. I last went to the dentist about a month and a half ago to get a tooth taken out due to extreme toothache. That appointment was hard as I have recently just begun recovering from being housd bound due to panic attacks. The dentist said I need a few more out and was to schedule an appointment with my normal dentist to get them taken care of. The tooth I got taken out was a lower molar.

About a week after getting that tooth out, I noticed some pain in the gum directly above where the tooth was taken out from, behind my last upper molar. It felt like a stingy pain and was worse when my tongue or food touched the area so I just assumed it was an ulcer and never looked at it. The pain went away in a few days and it hasn't hurt much since. Yday I finally checked and it turns out there's a white hard lump there. Its bright white, whiter than my teeth and as hard as tooth. It sticks out, it's not inward like an ulcer. Its not sore to touch but the area around it is a little tender and red. the tooth its next to is one that has to come out.

Sorry for the bad pics its hard to get a good shot from that angle since its so far in my mouth. Me being me I am terrified I have oral cancer. It looks like a tooth coming through but surely the dentist would have spotted that when I went recently? Or it would be more painful than what it was for a few days? I have an appointment to get it checked next week. I'm also really bad for clenching my teeth too if that goes for anything.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies and looking forward to getting to know you all on here :)

Attachments

C

CatLady

There was a cancellation so I have managed to get an appointment for a check up in two days time thankfully. I'm relieved about that because I am worried sick about this. I'm the sort of person who has a migraine and assumes its a stroke instead.

It looks sort of like an ulcer and a tooth coming out, or maybe a bone. Its a little tender to touch though that's probably from how often I have prodded it today. It feels rock solid and I can't move it. I noticed that when I clench my teeth, the bottom molar next to the one I had taken out recently, rests right on the white lump thing. Sits perfectly on it and its right at the side of my gum where the sharpest part of the bottom tooth meets the upper gum. I've been very stressed lately so have been clenching a lot more then usual.

I'll keep you updated on how I get on at the dentist on Friday. I'm nervous, not gonna lie.

Brittany48

Brittany48

it may very well be a bone fragment which often work themselves out of the gum after a tooth extraction

C

CatLady

it may very well be a bone fragment which often work themselves out of the gum after a tooth extraction
Hi thanks for your reply. Could it still be a bone fragment even though the lump is on the upper jaw and it was a lower jaw molar I got extracted?

T

Tink

If you're 23 and it's right at the back behind your last molar, then it seems likely to be a wisdom tooth coming through. (Note: I am not a dentist)

Talk to your dentist when you see them, they should be able to put your mind at rest.

C

CatLady

Never thought of it being my wisdom teeth coming in. Suppose it could be. Heard they can be really painful coming in though :o

T

Tink

For what it's worth, I have had 3 wisdom teeth come through over the years and it wasn't ever painful beyond the sort of thing you've already described - pretty uneventful to be honest. I guess the really painful experiences you're heard about would be where there is a problem of some sort - certainly not inevitable.

Talk to your dentist, I'm sure they can take a look and tell you more - be sure to tell them what you're worried about as they will have much better informed answers than me!

C

CatLady

Thanks everyone for your replies. You have all made me feel a lot better :)

I'm assuming its either a wisdom tooth coming in or maybe something to do with the tooth with with a bad cavity next to it and infection. Right above the white lump the gum is red and swollen. Feels hard too and right behind the lump and tooth there's a tiny white dot that is very slight raised and tender to the touch. There's a bad taste from the whole area but I'm assuming that's from the cavity

C

CatLady

Woke up today with a bad sore throat and my lip is all swollen and the lymph node under my jaw is agony to touch and to move my head. The lip is probably caused by me picking at it through nerves. Will be glad to go to the dentist tomorrow though I'm really nervous even though I know all I'll be getting done is a check up. Also never been to this dentist before so there's the added nerves from that too.

K

karensue77

Hi Catlady! I assume you have cats? I have 2 and I love cats!! Anyway, let us know what you find out at the dentist tomorrow. Looks like a wisdom tooth coming in. Good Luck!! Don't get yourself too nervous, it will all work out!!

C

CatLady

Hi Catlady! I assume you have cats? I have 2 and I love cats!! Anyway, let us know what you find out at the dentist tomorrow. Looks like a wisdom tooth coming in. Good Luck!! Don't get yourself too nervous, it will all work out!!
Hi yes I have 4! Rambo and Nibbler are 9 and I have two kittens called Regan and Pixie :) thanks. Will keep you all updated :)

C

CatLady

Ended up having to cancel my dentist appointment for today and go to the doctor instead, turns out I have a virus. Knew I was coming down with something :( I've rescheduled my dentist appointment so I'll be a nervous wreck until then.

C

CatLady

Hi everyone, hope you are well. I'm finally starting to feel human and again after that summer flu/cold.

I was having some pain around that white area again and I noticed the little white dot has got bigger. It hurts to touch but the big hard white bit doesn't hurt to touch. It feels like a stingy kind of ulcer pain. The little white dot is rock hard and tooth like just like the big part. Here's some pics. Sorry for the bad quality its really hard to get a good pic of that area. Could the little spot be an abscess? Or would that cause a soft white lump? Starting to worry about this again :(

Attachments