• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What is twilight anesthesia like?

N

Nutfig1

I am scheduled to get my wisdom tooth removed on October 26th after my initial appointment went horribly wrong.

The oral surgeon has decided to put me under twilight anesthesia, and I was told by his nurse that I may or may not fall asleep but that I will definitely be relaxed.

I have OCD and generalized anxiety disorder (diagnosed in 2006) which makes me especially edgy in medical situations. I've also had an obsessive fear for several years now of having to be put to sleep for surgery. It's difficult to describe, but I've just always been extremely uncomfortable with the thought of being quickly put to sleep. I don't like the thought of being rushed to do anything, especially while very nervous.

I'm also worried that I'll "fight" the calm feeling that the anesthesia will undoubtedly give me or that it won't be effective enough at calming me and keeping my blood pressure and pulse down.

Additionally, many people who have been put under twilight anesthesia mention a feeling of time passing very quickly which kind of freaks me out.

I first discovered the cavity in my wisdom tooth on June 28th, and the longer I've had to wait for it to be removed the more it has exacerbated my OCD and anxiety. So I was just wondering if anyone who has had twilight anesthesia could tell me about their experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is great. Really really great.

Easy as falling off a log, my friend.

You May well have anxiety beforehand: that is normal. But once they get started you’ll be just fine.

The whole wisdom teeth thing will suck for a few days, but it something you can definitely handle.

You will surprise us all, and none more than yourself.

As one patient told his mother afterwards when she asked how it went " It was a blast"

I had what they call twilight sedation for my endoscopy.. I was worried it wouldn't be strong enough, but I had no idea what was going on at all , felt like I took a nice nap and I was done.. incredibly smooth.. still scary to do the unknown if you've never done it before but its a scary before , not during type of scary,.. once they give it to you, its over and done.

Back