• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What is wrong? HIGH anxiety.

J

Jumper34

So about 11 days ago. I had a filling in my last molar in the back on the bottom. The tooth is crooked, because the wisdom teeth caused it to come in funny I guess. My dentist died last year sadly. He was the only dentist I have ever really felt comfortable with and has made me feel like I'm not a horrible person when it comes to my teeth. So there are a few temporary dentists in there for now. I've been seeing one of them and I really like him and he's been very good. But this past visit it was a new guy. As soon as he looked at the tooth he almost started to get nervous and anxious about it being a little tilted inwards. So once he numbed me, we waited and waited and he started, but I could still feel some pain so he numbed me about 4-5 more times. I thought that was a little overkill but I'm not the dentist. Anyways, we started and he was all but ripping my jaw open to get to this tooth. He had cut my tongue with the drill, and he was just being very rough. I understand that that might have been needed to fill this tooth, but it has already been filled once by my previous dentist and he didn't seem to have a problem with it. So he finished and says that he couldn't get my contact very good, I might have to come back. That was a little frustrating to me because I have a busy busy schedule with work and school. I came home and all but had a panic attack because it was just a very traumatic experience, with him holding my jaw open and stabbing me with the needle to numb me and cutting my tongue... Ugh. So, I couldn't really feel anything until about midnight because that whole side of my mouth was numb. That night my jaw was very sore. I woke up and it was a little better, two days pass and it doesn't really hurt at all. But Saturday Night, this happened on Wednesday, my jaw just started to ache. Not the tooth per say, but my jaw, where my jaw opens and closes, there are sharp pains at my cheek bone and my ear and my cheek almost feels tingly sometimes.
So. I go back on Monday. Same dentist is in there and I tell him that something is wrong. My bite might be wrong because I used to be able to feel my bbottom two teeth, touch my top two teeth. But now they only do on the right side. (Filling is on left). So be looks and he tells me to bite down and says, "oh yeah I see it." So he files it down some. No dice. Mind you, when he saw it was me, he started to get like a weird anxious about that tilted tooth. So he's bouncing around in my mouth at 100mph grinding on the tooth with the filling, the one above it, and another tooth closer to the front on the bottom that he did in the same appointment. Still nothing changed. So he started tapping around on the tooth. Hard. With his littl:unsure:e instrument. It didn't hurt until he tapped right on the filling. Making it metal on metal, which will no doubt hurt no matter what! After that he says, no your bite is fine. You have pulpitis, since the tooth is tilted, you might as well pull it. Oh my gosh. I have not been that close to the point of tears in the dentist office in years. I was sooooooo frustrated. I just kept trying to ask him questions like why doesnt my tooth hurt and why is it only my jaw and cheek bone and stuff and he just kept saying I don't know... I don't know... He took an X-ray and nothing was inflamed, there's not an abscess... It just looks like a normal tooth with a filling. He gave me a prescription for ibuprofen, steroids, and antibiotics. So I saw my dental hygienist on the way out and told her what was going on. She told me to take ibuprofen and to eat soft foods for a while and come back on Monday because there was the other dentist coming back that day.
Ugh. So I've been taking all that medication and its making it bearable, but its still painful. Sometimes I'll barely be in pain, but other times for example if I have to talk a lot, or smile a lot, it will be pretty painful. I don't know what this is, but I need to know. I'm losing sleep over the idea of losing a tooth, or worse, this dentist doing something to mess up my jaw or nerves in my tooth/jaw.
Like I said above, my jaw aches where it opens and closes, and down almost to my chin, my ear and cheek bone have sharp stabbing pains, sometimes my cheek will feel tingly, and my surrounding teeth start to hurt sometimes on that side. And that tooth does not hurt to touch it, only is sensitive to cold sometimes. Face is not swollen either.
So if I could please, please get some dentists input, it would really ease my anxiety ridden mind before my appointment tomorrow. Thank you.

Last edited:
I’m not a dentist, but from what your describing, it sounds like the problem might be with your TMJ. Have you tried applying moist heat or cold on the area?

I’m not a dentist, but from what your describing, it sounds like the problem might be with your TMJ. Have you tried applying moist heat or cold on the area?
Yes. Ice packs seem to help some. I have not tried moist heat yet though. From what I've researched, I've also thought that it could be my TMJ. I'm thinking that a bad bite is the cause. Thank you.

Yes it sounds like your TM joint has had a bit of a slamming. Some people find heat helps others ice, so try both and see what feels better.
I'd maybe look at changing dentists as well...

Hi,

I second what Gordon said. Can I ask whether you grind or to clench your teeth at night or during the day? Are you experiencing more stress these days (besides the dental stress you told us about)?

Jumper,

Not a dentist here either, but I read your story and it sounds really anxiety producing with that dentist!! I just wanted to say I really hope it goes better with the other dentist today. Let us know how it goes ! :grouphug:

Hi,

I second what Gordon said. Can I ask whether you grind or to clench your teeth at night or during the day? Are you experiencing more stress these days (besides the dental stress you told us about)?
I notice myself clenching sometimes. Mainly at night. But not a lot.

Yes it sounds like your TM joint has had a bit of a slamming. Some people find heat helps others ice, so try both and see what feels better.
I'd maybe look at changing dentists as well...
Thanks. I have tried both yesterday and they seem to help a little. I'm also trying to find a new dentist. I liked the one before this, so I stopped looking. Didn't realize he would be alternating with this other guy. But yes, in the process of getting a new dentist.

Jumper,

Not a dentist here either, but I read your story and it sounds really anxiety producing with that dentist!! I just wanted to say I really hope it goes better with the other dentist today. Let us know how it goes ! :grouphug:
Thank you! I will!

Jumper,

Well the dentist that I liked before was back in there today. He adjusted my bite a little bit and said its probably TMJ and that can last for longer than a month :/ I'm really hoping it goes away quicker than that because its really bothering me. But I'm just happy its not anything with the tooth!

Well the dentist that I liked before was back in there today. He adjusted my bite a little bit and said its probably TMJ and that can last for longer than a month :/ I'm really hoping it goes away quicker than that because its really bothering me. But I'm just happy its not anything with the tooth!

I have had a lot of issues with TMJ in the past few months, after several long dental procedures. I didn't realize how much I clenched my teeth at night until I got an over the counter night guard (temporary until I can get one made at dentist). Within a week, I had deep gouges in the hard plastic from my bottom teeth. It was on the top teeth.
My dentist also told me to concentrate on relaxing my jaw before I go to sleep. It sounds odd, but it really does help. Once I lay down, I think about the tension in my jaw and release it. Sometimes I have to do it more than once. It has helped mine heal a lot faster.

I had TMJ problems a few weeks ago, the dentist said it was probably from the anaesthetic, but it felt like it wasn't getting better at all for so long. The stress of it seemed to be causing me to grind my teeth, but I think finding out it was common and would probably go away, and being given some tips, helped me to relax a bit, which I think helped it to heal. It's still not 100% better but it only hurts a bit when I open my mouth wide, and I can finally bring my jaw forward without pain. I have an appointment on Thursday and I really hope he'll go ahead with the other work I need done and that i can keep my mouth open wide enough for long enough.

I hope yours heals quickly. And I'm glad you got the dentist you liked!

I have had a lot of issues with TMJ in the past few months, after several long dental procedures. I didn't realize how much I clenched my teeth at night until I got an over the counter night guard (temporary until I can get one made at dentist). Within a week, I had deep gouges in the hard plastic from my bottom teeth. It was on the top teeth.
My dentist also told me to concentrate on relaxing my jaw before I go to sleep. It sounds odd, but it really does help. Once I lay down, I think about the tension in my jaw and release it. Sometimes I have to do it more than once. It has helped mine heal a lot faster.
They also suggested a possible night guard. I will probably go get one over the counter and see if it helps some. Thank you! I'm glad yours is healing!

I had TMJ problems a few weeks ago, the dentist said it was probably from the anaesthetic, but it felt like it wasn't getting better at all for so long. The stress of it seemed to be causing me to grind my teeth, but I think finding out it was common and would probably go away, and being given some tips, helped me to relax a bit, which I think helped it to heal. It's still not 100% better but it only hurts a bit when I open my mouth wide, and I can finally bring my jaw forward without pain. I have an appointment on Thursday and I really hope he'll go ahead with the other work I need done and that i can keep my mouth open wide enough for long enough.

I hope yours heals quickly. And I'm glad you got the dentist you liked!
Ugh. Its terrible, isn't it? I'm glad yours seems to be getting better. Thank you!

They also suggested a possible night guard. I will probably go get one over the counter and see if it helps some. Thank you! I'm glad yours is healing!
My former dentist (who I loved) suggested the Sleep Right ProX custom dental guard. It is hard instead of the rubbery ones, so you can't chew on it. I have used two of them so far (had to get a new one after a tooth extraction) and they are easy to use. I brought it in to my my new dentist and he said he was surprised at how good it was and how well it fit and was a good temporary option until we get my teeth sorted out.

Hi guys. I just wanted to check back in and see how you are all doing with TMJ? Its been about 3 and a half weeks since I got the filling that caused it and my jaw seems to be going back into place/my bite feels a lot better. I still have some soreness at times, but nothing ibuprofen or Tylenol can't help. Thank you all so much for your encouragement and advice!

I'm glad yours is improving. I had root canal on the other side on Thursday and my jaw is a bit tender, but absolutely nothing like the first time.

Back