• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

what sedative can I get from my doctor?

V

vassant

I am planning to have some serious dental work. The procedure is painless but I cant cope with feeling out of control in the chair. Also i cant cope with alot of cotton wool and stuff in my mouth, i feel like i am going to die. It has been suggested that valium or something out of that family of sedatives will help with the anxiety. Can anyone comment or recommend a specific drug that i could request from my doctor. Also has anyone tried these tabs before procedures? Do they really make you feel relaxed? Thanks for listening.

Hi!
I understand hating the feeling of cotton in your mouth and feeling out of control in the chair for sure...many of us do. My dentist prescribes halcion for my appointments to be taken the night before, an hour before and once I get to the office. I didn't have to ask for it or have a choice over the meds. He decided if and what was needed.

It worked the very first time...though it took more than they thought and longer to kick in but it hasn't helped the two appointments since, even adjusting the dose. I do seem to get very sleepy once everything is over and don't remember much of paying the bill or the ride home ... but it doesn't kick in before or during the high stress times of the appointment. I really wish it did.

I am planning to have some serious dental work. The procedure is painless but I cant cope with feeling out of control in the chair. Also i cant cope with alot of cotton wool and stuff in my mouth, i feel like i am going to die. It has been suggested that valium or something out of that family of sedatives will help with the anxiety. Can anyone comment or recommend a specific drug that i could request from my doctor. Also has anyone tried these tabs before procedures? Do they really make you feel relaxed? Thanks for listening.

Yea, I tried the valium route. Told how it'd make me SO relaxed and how it's helped so many people. Might help others, but it did no good for me what so freaking ever. i'm not saying you shouldn't try it but it is something you should be aware of. Round one was Deep cleaning and the valium didn't help at all. Round 2 was extractions pt 1, didn't help much. Round 3 was the Pt 2 extractions, nada. Round 4 was 2 fillings and by that point I pretty much said screw it and went sans valium.

Honestly the laughing gas did a lot more to help then the valium. Didn't make me go all happy happy happy like you see online but it did chill me out enough to get me to kind of fade in and out of the work and keep me from wanting to bolt out the office.

I've tried Valium and Xanax. Both dull the anxiety alright and you will not feel so anxious before the appointment but I still get the adrenaline heart pounding feeling during treatment when using V and X.

I've also had laughing gas and I have to say that works brilliantly. Exactly as the other poster says, you kind of drift in and out and you're not really aware that the work is being done, you don't care anyway!

I've also tried IV sedation. It is great too as you will be completely unaware of what is going on but it is more expensive. I would check out the nitrous oxide (laughing gas) :)

Back