• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums.

What should come out during socket irrigation?

R

RudeZebrra

I am on day 8 of recovering from wisdom tooth extraction and I have just started irrigation with a syringe yesterday, and I am worried that I may not be getting everything out.

I've seen some videos and from other people on different forums that have much larger groupings of food particles and dried blood coming out during irrigation, but everytime I've flushed my sockets I only had small dark particles in my spit, and the worst that's been flushed out was a seseme seed that I forgot to pull off some bread I ate.

For reference, I've still been eating softer foods and chewing with my front teeth when I have to, so I don't know if this is why there's not much to flush out of my sockets, but I'm still worried there may be debris in them that I'm not getting out.

Is it normal that there's not much to flush out, should more be coming out when I irrigate, or is it different depending on the person and what they're eating?

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
On day 8 the socket will be mostly healed I think so it makes sense that nothing is coming out. Remember that healing is not dependent on flushing. It’s a nice extra, but usually the body can cope even with food particles (in the practice I worked we never advised people to flush and they recovered well anyway). Try not to obsess about this too much (that‘s hard, I know)

R

RudeZebrra

On day 8 the socket will be mostly healed I think so it makes sense that nothing is coming out. Remember that healing is not dependent on flushing. It’s a nice extra, but usually the body can cope even with food particles (in the practice I worked we never advised people to flush and they recovered well anyway). Try not to obsess about this too much (that‘s hard, I know)
Thank you for the response, I just feel like I need some assurance that everything's doing what it's supposed to since this is my first (and hopefully last) tooth extraction.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
If this is giving you anxiety, would it be an idea to have a dentist take a look at it to confirm that all is well?