• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What should I do? Who should I see? Possible Toothache and Sinusitis

K

kitkat18

I stupidly told my dentist the wrong tooth that has been hurting and will have to see him again. I wasn’t feeling any pain at the moment, had 4 hrs of sleep and pointed at the wrong tooth with my tongue. I also didn’t feel any pain when he tapped on my teeth until after the appointment which is how I realized it was the wrong molar he had assessed.

He didn’t see any cavities but said that I might have internal resorption but with the wrong tooth I had pointed out. I have a feeling he will take more dental xrays which I am concerned about bc I’ve had four dental xrays within half a year. I don’t want to increase my exposure to radiation even though I know dental xrays have a small amount of radiation.

He might also say its referred pain from my lower bottom wisdom tooth extraction from 5 months ago since he had told me the same thing the last time (about a month ago) when I had generalized toothache from the same area. However I didn’t go through with it bc my doctor said I could have sinusitis due to the ear pain/popping due to loud noises, cheek pain which I may have mistook for toothache, slight headaches and pain behind my eye.

I took and completed my antibiotics and felt really good for a week until the ear pain/popping due to loud noises came back along with specific toothache instead of the generalized one which was probably cheek pain from my sinusitis.

I’ve been crying all day bc I’m just so stressed and anxious about who to go through with (as I also have a ENT appointment on Friday, which was set up by my mom bc of the ear ache and this sudden onset of an “achy” throat.) I can’t focus on anything else but this, and I feel like I’ve been ignoring my family during this summer which I had hope I would have enjoyed more instead of being in bed with this dicomfort sitting in my face.

Right now I have no teeth pain, though my ear feels weird. The teethpain is persistant and hurts more aftermidnight. I can’t tell if it wakes me up at night bc I don’t sleep until 6 in the morning (I have insomnia and live my life backwards haha)

I have an appointment with my doctor (my pediatrician- I’m 20 but I still see her as I’m a little more comfortable with her, and she keeps patients until they’re 21) but as I said I’m too anxious and stressed about this and feel like crying every second.

Please help. I’m thinking of cancelling my dentist appointment on Friday to check out the right tooth that’s hurting if my doctor tells me its my sinusitis again. But should I? I’m also concerned about the xrays. Should I also tell my doctor about what my dentist told me?

Thank you so much for reading this.

Hi Kitcat18,
Well that’s a very complex situation you have going on. I can fully understand why it is making you so anxious.
Sometimes it can be very difficult to pinpoint the cause of pain. I am encouraged that your dentist has taken a cautious approach and not just dived in a'drillin and a'fillin!
Despite your detailed description, I could not tell you what the cause is. My advice is to tell you dentist, ENT person and whoever else you see exactly what the others had done and said, that way they will know what the others are thinking and make seek to confer with them if they feel it is appropriate.
If your gut feeling is to cancel the dental appointment, then do it, you can always book back in again if things change.
Hope things work out

Lincoln

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my situation and reply. I went to my doctor today who said there could be fluid in my ears and referred me to an ENT (she doesn’t know I already have an appointment) which could explain the ear popping, and prescribed me Zyrtec. I have to take it for a week and call ENT if my condition doesn’t improve, but my mom wants me to go to the ENT on Friday anyways.

I might reschedule my dentist appointment to the weekend, but today I started having jaw aches. I also have toothaches in both my bottom left and right sides. My right ear is also more affected than it usually is, which is rare, and I have jaw stiffness and a slight toothche as I had said. I forgot to tell my doctor about the sudden onset of jaw stiffness.

I told my doctor everything else I could in my 3hrs of sleep state, and am planning on telling my dentist and ENT what has happpened over the course of the summer.

My doctor also prescribed me another course of antibiotics only bc I had asked her about my sinusitis diagnosis from before. She said she didn’t want to think about that as she assessed me bc, although my sinuses are involved, I don’t have any nasal discharge or congestion. I might not take the antibiotics until I see my ENT bc I’ve taken so many antibiotics over the course of my life, and I don’t want to become resistant to them if it’s not an infection and I’m using them for the wrong purposes.

Right now it’s my right ear that’s bothering me, even though it has always been mostly my left. I am afraid that if this is a problem related to my wisdom teeth extraction, and I don’t fix it in time, I could have jaw paralysis or something of the like. Right now I’m too sleep deprived to feel much emotions haha, but I feel a little relieved that I’ve seen my doctor, albiet I have yet to see more people.

Again, thank you so much for the reassurance.

Back