• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What to eat or not after extraction

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
I hope this is posted in the right place if not gently move me on please.

There are a lot of posts on her of people asking what to eat after having teeth out. As this is not something you think about much before having teeth extracted I thought it might be useful to start a thread so people could add what they ate, and what they found was best to avoid, so helping others, not to starve, until they could eat normally again.
I will start with a list of what I can think of and hopefully others will have ideas as well:

Soup - bananas - jelly - sphagetti - yogurt - mash potato with things added like tuna or chopped onion, or chopped mushrooms - scrambled egg - omelette - oxo cube in warm water - ice cream - ice lollies - water

Best avoided
Baked beans - bread - rice - anything too hard like toast

Malts or shakes (some people call them frappes) are good too. The cold of the ice cream feels nice on a sore mouth.

Just be sure to eat them with a spoon, and don't try to suck it up through a straw.

This is a great idea - we can make a web page with soft food suggestions :thumbsup:!

I didn't quite get why to avoid baked beans and rice (oh, I think now I get it :hmm: - cos they can get stuck in the site - is that what you meant? so maybe we could colour code things that are best avoided after a tooth has been taken out)

OH yes that is what I meant about baked beans and the other things I mentioned not to eat through personal experience, they have a way of finding their way in there, and will they come out easy, oh no when you have tried rinsing and prodding and made your mouth sore they eventually come out when you are laid sweating and in a panic that is as bad as the dental appointment to have the teeth extracted in the first place.

So yes please colour code these things they are dangerous to one's sanity when tried with an extraction site.

I thought they were soft and safe, but no they are a devil in disguise when you have an extraction site in your mouth. ;)

TO HAVE.
Ready bred - weetabix - complan - anything done in a blender - semolina - Mousse

Keep them coming :thumbsup:...

WHAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO EAT.

Cheese puffs - cheese wiggles - Quavers - prawn crackers - apple sauce and custard -porridge - noodles - shepherds pie don't try chew just swallow - Ocean pie (fish pie, this is topped with mash)
waffles - cottage cheese.

There is a list of "soft foods" in a section in the FAQ.

But I think this thread is probably still a good idea because this deals specifically with foods suitable for after an extraction. Baked beans are listed as a soft food on the other list but, as Carole pointed out, those may not be such a great idea with a fresh extraction site. ;)

This is a great idea - we can make a web page with soft food suggestions

Oh Yah, we could have a recipe/cooking section !!! Are you branching out letsconnect ? :) COS I have a brilliant recipe for butternut squash and parsnip slow roasted in the most amazing garlic, gruyere and thyme white sauce. It is lovely and soft and very 'adult' too.

Give the recipe Carys, it's one thing putting a list but if there recipe's as well that is a good idea.

Jaylah I looked at the other list and it is very good but until someone has tried some of these foods you don't always know how they will travel in your mouth. I tell you baked beans are terrible for a few days after, they head straight for the extraction site. I didn't know that list was there so it is good that you have put a link to it, if someone has tried something on the list and finds it's not very practical they could come on here and let us know. :cheers:

Jaylah I looked at the other list and it is very good but until someone has tried some of these foods you don't always know how they will travel in your mouth. I tell you baked beans are terrible for a few days after, they head straight for the extraction site.

I totally agree, Carole.

For another example, well-cooked rice (perhaps a nice bowl of rice-pudding?) would certainly be great for eating if your gums were sore after a procedure or you'd just gotten your braces tightened, etc. But I would not be eating rice after an extraction because I'm quite sure that I'd end up with at least a few grains of the stuff "disappearing" down the hole.

And yes, please, Carys. We would like to see your recipe.

Okey Dokey, I will find it, it was a BBC Good Food one.....will be back when it has been found...

Carys did you find the recipe? :)

its been five days since a extraction of 2 teeth i can only eat with front ones for now i had some fish in a sauce with mash potato i tryed pasta with a pasta sauce on top last nite that was orite but cook the pasta till its really soft.
next like tomorrow i might try a pot noodle then near the end of next week some kebab meat with chilli because i should be even better by then.:)

Ooooooo, pot noodle!

I don't know why they get such a bad rap all the time. I actually think they're kinda good! :)

I love noodles, home made ones, when I was in my 20s I used to eat pot noodles all the time, I was always on the run. I had 2 jobs and little time or inclination to cook.

Paul386 Thank you something else to add to the list. :jump: :jump: :jump:

I don't know why they get such a bad rap all the time

Cos they are stacked full of salt and preservatives with low nutritional value. ;) Nothing in them is fresh either.

NOODLES , Noodles (47%), [Wheat Flour, Vegetable Oil, Salt, Firming Agents (Potassium Carbonate,, Sodium Carbonate)], SAUCE AND VEGETABLES, Water, Vegetables (4.8%) (Mushroom (1.6%), Onions, Sweetcorn), Dried Glucose Syrup, Wheat Flour, Soya Pieces (Texturised) (2.9%), Skimmed Milk, Herbs, Flavourings (contain gluten, milk), Potassium Chloride, Flavour Enhancer (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5'- ribonucleotides, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Yeast Extract, Salt, Colour (Turmeric Extract), Citric Acid, SACHET, Soy Sauce (1.5%) (water, soy beans, wheat flour, salt, sugar, Acetic Acid).

She's off on a tangent again, who turned the key in her back, Jaylah it's your fault. :) All this fuss from Carys and she eats cream eggs, now they are good for you eh? :p

I'm not tangenting, just starting a debate with Jaylah about the nutritional merits of pot noodles and the assertion that
I don't know why they get such a bad rap all the time

Yeah, ok chocolate has featured heavily in my eating habits in recent weeks, but.....but creme eggs are a 'supplement' to my diet ;D, the rest of it is good, fresh, wholesome stuff and if you are having pot noodle as your main food then that isn't good for you. You'd be better having proper chinese egg noodles with some chopped up stir fried veg and a bit of fish. If you really fancy a pot noodle, with some of those scratchy dried out chemical tasting vegetables, then sure have whatever gets your appetite going, but they aren't healthy, honest.

MACARONI CHEESE - is that on the list ? You could add some steamed small pieces of broccoli to it as well. (and some cabury's caramel chunks ?) LOL

Back