• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What to eat or not after extraction

Take time to heal now then get the other bits done, for me I think the dums are the biggest job, and the scariest until you have it done and realise it isn't as bad as you think it is.

I went to the shop and they only had strawberry and chocolate, I wanted butterscotch with all this talk of it on here, I got some chocolate but I haven't made it yet. I will get some butterscotch when I do my shopping, it is going to be like a mission now.

Get well soon and happy healing :hug5::welldone::butterfly::respect::respect::respect: :friends:

When you are not as groggy do the celebration dance :dance2::dance::dance::dance2::butterfly:

Pudding can be like date, sticky toffee or owt else that makes you feel good and is full of all the things you shouldn't eat but CAN :jump::jump::jump:

I don't do puds - but if you could class anything savoury as a pud, then I soooo know where you are coming from - go for it, if it makes you feel good and is not in the majority, a little bit of what you fancy does you good ;)

I really enjoy the different cultures and words for things on here, makes things much more interesting! :hmm:

mikey I agree there are times when some of the phrases and names for things have me scratching my head. :butterfly:

So 4 days after having my wisdom teeth removed, I realize how little ice cream and yogurt really do for me diet-wise! I honestly am grossed out by the thought of ice cream and yogurt?? Even worse. I know I can start to "chew" more things now, but I'm still afraid of bits getting caught in my extraction sights, soooo here are some recipe ideas I've tried that are helping me get through this!

1. Mock Oatmeal
1/2 cup ricotta
1 egg or 1/4 cup Beaters
1 packet Splenda, Sugar, or other sweetener
and maple syrup (as needed)

Combine everything into a microwave safe bowl. Nuke on high for 3 minutes. It'll be VERY hot when it comes out so let it cool before you eat. You can sprinkle with cinnamon or, in my case, pumpkin pie spice. It's delish! Doesn't really taste like oatmeal exactly, but I got the recipe from a South Beach Diet forum where it was an oatmeal substitute ;)

2. Cheesy Butternut Squash Bake
4 cups cube butternut squash
2 wedges Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese at room temp
1/4 cup Egg Beaters (or 1 real egg)
1-2 tbsp (to taste) brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

I've had this recipe for a few years. Got it from one of the Hungry Girl cookbooks, which I live by! This tastes like a big bowl of mashed sweet potatoes, and it's sooooooo good!

Preheat oven to 350F.

Place squash in large microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup of water. Cover and microwave for 6 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, uncover and drain water.

Place squash and all other ingredients (except the brown sugar) in a blender. (Make sure squash cubes are not still piping hot.) Pulse until thoroughly mixed (but not liquefied).

Transfer squash mixture to a small casserole dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Place in the oven, and bake for 35 - 40 minutes (until edges begin to brown). Top with brown sugar. Then serve with a spoon as you would mashed potatoes!

3. Mashed Chocolate Bananas
1 whole banana
1 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips

Mash or puree the banana in a microwave safe bowl. Sprinkle the chips on top. Microwave for 15 seconds. Stir. Microwave for another 10 seconds or until chips have completely melted. Stir, drool, enjoy! I also tried adding some cinnamon spice which was awesome. This is a super sweet and vitamin rich dessert. Perfect for a pick me up :giggle:

Last night, I also had refried beans + cheese + sour cream and a mashed yam with butter and brown sugar. And I added a tbsp of whipped topping to my jello, which made it decadent instead of boring. These foods are really saving me lately! Hope you guys enjoy.

So as some of you might know, I just had all my back teeth removed, 14 of them in total. So my main quest for over a week was to find the PERFECT food. Sorry if this grosses someone out, but after surgery you are stuck with almost no saliva.. And what is left of your saliva will be about 85% blood. Which makes eating anything besides liquid (for me at least) completely impossible.

So here are 2 ideas:

Rice pudding with Flattened Rice instead of normal rice:

You can buy the flattened rice anywhere basically, and it is cheap as well. Add some milk and it will be ready in 5 minutes after boiling. Tastes delicious and really easy to eat.

Banana shake with oat meal:

This one is really easy but I got bored with it after 2-3 days. 1 banana, 60ml oat meal, 3dl warm milk. Put it in a blender with some sugar or honey and it is delicious, for a while at least :)

Also, soups, the minute-maid ones you can buy are really good and can be eaten easily.

I found bread to be a nightmare unless it was broken up really small and in soup so it doesn't have to be chewed. It is too doughy and can get stuck in the extraction site. I know I tried it. Also oranges are not very good either unless they are put through a juicer.:butterfly:

carol this is great :) headn to 5th day now. its monday. i havnt eatn since thursday i was worryed about things gettin into the hole or dislodging the clot . mashed spuds and gravy and mashed califlower did the job for me :) or some peti filou yougherts there filling. :) and easily washed outa the hole. im not near better yet tho i have pain wen i eat and so on :( i did try a peice off burger and the little bits can make there way round so wudnt advice that lol i think anythin with no bits is good? hope i get better its drivin me mad. i actually was so nervous about getting it out i didnt think what it would be like after :O after is worse than getting it out :O think the fact iva hole in my mouth is scary and the taught off the dreaded "dry socket" really was the worst part for me. the fear off gettn it rele scared me. think im feeln wee bit more confident now tho thank god. and im sooooooo greatful to you uv made me feel alot more normal and not as catious :) :XXLhug:

Mars bar ice creams, easy to eat and soothes the extraction site.

carol this is great :) headn to 5th day now. its monday. i havnt eatn since thursday i was worryed about things gettin into the hole or dislodging the clot . mashed spuds and gravy and mashed califlower did the job for me :) or some peti filou yougherts there filling. :) and easily washed outa the hole. im not near better yet tho i have pain wen i eat and so on :( i did try a peice off burger and the little bits can make there way round so wudnt advice that lol i think anythin with no bits is good? hope i get better its drivin me mad. i actually was so nervous about getting it out i didnt think what it would be like after :O after is worse than getting it out :O think the fact iva hole in my mouth is scary and the taught off the dreaded "dry socket" really was the worst part for me. the fear off gettn it rele scared me. think im feeln wee bit more confident now tho thank god. and im sooooooo greatful to you uv made me feel alot more normal and not as catious :) :XXLhug:
Haha, i agree there! The healing process is 10x worse than getting the tooth pulled out! :)

Tuna mayo blended up ,may not look too good but tastes good, squirty cheese esp. with chives in it added to baked potato or mashed potato adds some flavour to your diet and own brand cheap cheese and onion quiche warmed through is fairly mushy, tinned/bottled/packet hot dog sausages can add flavour even mashed up these are handy when you want a little more than liquid and are not sweet toothed lovely if you grate some onion squeeze out excess liquid and fry in a little butter again with potato, I found I craved savoury foods, patè and salmon mousse go down well. Happy healing to anyone reading this:)
D.J:whirl:

Haha, i agree there! The healing process is 10x worse than getting the tooth pulled out! :)

Depends on the person. Extractions were defiantly worse for me. I never had post extraction pain for either of my extraction rounds, round of 7 then a round of 7 or 8 plus getting my partials, Work varying from just roots to about 3/4 of a tooth) after the first 4 hours or so. Defiantly had more discomfort from the second round but that was a partial being a pain in the ash scenario that since then I had to get remolding done and a new lower partial made(getting it tomorrow).

However, the whole "having partials" thing outranks the healing and ALMOST outrank the extractions. While I managed to get the stuff to keep my busy and kind of prepared myself for the event, I failed to mentally prepare myself for the concept of having a mouth full of teeth for the first time in years so it's biting me in the rump. Am currently more miserable then I ever was with my old mouth. i know that there are many, many, many people that have gotten full or partial dentures and are really happy; that's just not my case.

At this point, i'm almost never even wear the top partials(no seriously, last wear session was the dentist last week, one b4 that was once during the weekend b4 last on a shopping run, next will be tomorrow for the dentist again) and the bottom don't fit right so i can't really wear them. Not like it's making much of a difference in eating. With the top partial in, I have issues eating but without it, i'm plowing through food just as fast, if not faster, then ever b4. Made a cheeseburger vanish in no time flat this morning.

Hi ACNLGal2013 I am sorry to read that you are still not happy with your dentures, have you told your dentist how you feel ? They may be able to come up with something to help you.

Good luck for your dental appointment tomorrow :clover::clover::clover:

You did give me a bit of a giggle with the whole eating a burger thing, you sound as if you get them down faster and better than us with our own teeth :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :butterfly:

Last edited:
Hi ACNLGal2013 I am sorry to read that you are still not happy with your dentures, have you told your dentist how you feel ? They may be able to come up with something to help you.

Good luck for your dental appointment tomorrow :clover::clover::clover:

You did give me a bit of a giggle with the whole eating a burger thing, you sound as if you get them down faster and better than us with our own teeth :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :butterfly:

thought about bringing it up with mom but I don't see the point in trying. Most of the time when we try to do a sit down and talk, it's a sit down and argue. Not really into bringing it up with the dentist since that would be a sit down and talk and i'm just not a people person.

Last time mom and i tried the sit and talk with when we were trying to decide what to do with my dental work. I wanted to find an iv sedation dentist but mom forced me into the valium/nitrous/numbing route b/c the odds of us getting a lift to the dentist that offers the service(yea, REAL far, a whopping 45ish mintutes vs the 25ish is takes to get to the guy who did my work) plus my aunt willing to pay the extra cost(she's the one that paid for my work) would be "slim"(according to mom) and on top of that, i'd have to wait until i healed to get my partial molds done and i couldn't make a come back argument fast enough to stop this mess. If i could turn back time, i would of fought a heck of a lot harder to get the iv sedation route since it would of meant a lot fewer dentists.

Since march 31st, I've had 1 trip for the first visit, a round of Deep cleaning, molds, 2 rounds of extractions, 2 separate visits for upper adjustments, 2 rounds of lower adjustments, 1 round of new lower partial trial fit, tomorrow is getting the new lowers, plus i still need a final cleaning and a couple fillings(i think). Going the iv sedation route would of cut the D.C., extractions, and fillings down to one trip and it's a safe bet that i could of cut out one round each of the upper and lower adjustments.

thinking about just running with the "going mostly commando" route as long as I can get away with it. the only real motive I had for wanting to wear the partials was wanting to go eat pizza at my favorite pizza location at a later time so i wanted to get used to them but after chowing down at my second favorite location sans partials with no problems(only regret is not grabbing a slice of chocolate dessert pizza) a few weeks ago and the cheeseburger this morning, i realized that i don't even need the thing to eat with.

I think from what you have said that you have not been allowed to do things your own way and in a manner that you felt that you could cope with. This has all been made much harder for you and sounds that it is near impossible for you to come to terms with at the moment.

Now that the worst bit is over take your time, if you don't want to wear the teeth which I think you resent because you didn't make the decisions around getting them. Do the rest at a pace you feel comfortable with and in your own time when and if you want to wear them.

I think you are maybe mad at your mum and the teeth are in the firing line. Put them to one side for now then at a time when you are ready make friends with them. A lot of people have problems with dentures and that is when they have felt in control so with everything being rushed through and you not feeling in control it is very understandable that you feel this way.

We are always here and you don't have to be a people person on here because we don't know you, and you can be as honest and rant as much as you need. I understand your resentment but as I don't have dentures I cannot comment on that. I am sure others that do will be able to relate to that part. I am sorry that this has made you feel so fed up. Problems with the mouth are the worst thing and the least understood. If you had had a bad hair cut everyone around you would understand that but it is hard for people to understand if they don't feel the way we all do on here.

I wish you all the best :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::hug5::hug5::hug4::butterfly:

One more thing, go back and get the chocolate dessert pizza next time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aashima said:
Tooth extraction is a process that most of us have to go through sometime or the other in life. After tooth extraction people should eat some liquid or lite food like gravy, rice ,soups , juices , mashed potato, oat meal ,fruit juices, applesauce, frozen yogurt, milk, etc .

My first meal after top extractions was actually mostly solids. I had a grilled loader 5 buck box from TB that mom chopped up really well. :p And then I mainly feasted on noodles/veggie/hot dog mashed up melody but I also had baby food to chow down on.

If it wouldn't of been for the extractions in the top back right plus one of the front extractions, I would of been able to eat the thing normally(well, minus drinking from the straw obviously). after having teeth in declining shape for about a decade I had found tricks to make it easy for me to eat plus learned what foods to avoid. Post extractions is WHOLE NOTHER story though. UCH! now THAT is an on going battle i'll probably never solve!

Smoked salmon on/in mash
Soft egg on lightly cooked potatoe waffles
Tinned vegetable ravioli
Weirdly ...potatoe salad

This is with immeadiate patials covering front top four teeth and bottom six. Might be more wary if no immeadiates covering open sockets.

Avoid hot food or drinks until the anaesthetic wears off. This is important as you cannot feel pain properly and may burn or scald your mouth. Also be careful not to chew your cheek. This is quite a common problem, which can happen when there is no feeling.

Im thoroughly enjoying milkshaes atm thank you to whoever added that L

I melted cheese in the microwave for a few seconds then I mushed it on the roof of my mouth ounce it was Cooled to touch.
Trix yogurt and of course milk shakes

I had 2 wisdom
2 molars
And
3 front teeth taken out this morning!
Difficulty taking pain pills but I have figured out to crush on top of yogurt goes down pretty easy

Back