• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What to expect from a permanent crown?

S

Skittish

I've already had my root canal on a broken molar, and in the same appointment my dentist put in a post and took impressions, so the next session he's going to put on my permanent crown. What should I expect? Is it like putting a little hat on the tooth, or is it a long drawn out process? Will there be tenderness in the area afterwards?

Secondly, do all molars that have root canals need crowns?

Sounds like all the hard work has been done already. if the tooth has a temporary crown in place then that just has to be flicked off and the permanent one cemented in place. That's a lovely phrase "like putting a little hat on the tooth!" Excellent, i'll be using that next week.

The rationale for stickng a crown on a root-filled tooth is to reinforce the tooth as the dentist has weakened the crown by drilling through it to gain access to the roots. But don't hold that against him! the other option I guess was to lose the tooth. Also the crown seals the tooth from the rest of the oral cavity (if it's done properly) and stops bacteria getting back in and re-infecting the tooth.

Just out of interest, what sort of post did he put in?

It looked like a tiny metal bar- I don't know if he put in more than one or exactly how it was placed in there, though.

In a tooth with multiple roots a number of posts can be placed which sort of lock together. Then the crown reinforces the whole lot when it is cemented on top.

The crown fit appointment will most probably be over fairly quick. Unlikely there will be any irritation of the gum or surrounding area, although the crown might feel a little odd for a while until you get used to it. like a new pair of shoes.. or a hat perhaps :)

Pars

Back