• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What type of sedation?

A

aflowers01

My dentist said that, at minimum, my two bottom wisdom teeth need to come out.They're obviously impacted, butting right up against the roots of my back teeth. One of my upper wisdom teeth gets in the way with chewing and the gum gets sore at times so I imagine that will go too. No major pain but I would rather have them removed on my own terms rather than it being an emergency. I haven't even been to my consult yet (a week from Monday) but the more I know, the calmer I am and I'm obsessing over this one point.

Doctors run screaming for the hills when me and anesthesia are used in the same sentence because of my obesity. I have diabetes and hypertension but thankfully those are both controlled and it's never been a problem with other dental work/extractions. So...I would really rather not remember this whole thing. Conscious sedation is what I consider an ideal situation buuuut I get the feeling that may end up not being an option, I guess it depends.

I've had nitrous in the past (current dentist doesn't offer it) and it didn't do anything, just smelled funny. So either it doesn't work or they weren't using a high enough concentration or something? I would totally be willing to do it with a local and nitrous if it would be effective. If I have to I'll do it with like a xanax and a local but I really don't want to. I cried during my root canal. I'm really shaky during a routine extraction but those go quickly. I'm doubting my ability to keep myself together.

Help?

So much spam!

My dentist said that, at minimum, my two bottom wisdom teeth need to come out.They're obviously impacted, butting right up against the roots of my back teeth. One of my upper wisdom teeth gets in the way with chewing and the gum gets sore at times so I imagine that will go too. No major pain but I would rather have them removed on my own terms rather than it being an emergency. I haven't even been to my consult yet (a week from Monday) but the more I know, the calmer I am and I'm obsessing over this one point.

Doctors run screaming for the hills when me and anesthesia are used in the same sentence because of my obesity. I have diabetes and hypertension but thankfully those are both controlled and it's never been a problem with other dental work/extractions. So...I would really rather not remember this whole thing. Conscious sedation is what I consider an ideal situation buuuut I get the feeling that may end up not being an option, I guess it depends.

I've had nitrous in the past (current dentist doesn't offer it) and it didn't do anything, just smelled funny. So either it doesn't work or they weren't using a high enough concentration or something? I would totally be willing to do it with a local and nitrous if it would be effective. If I have to I'll do it with like a xanax and a local but I really don't want to. I cried during my root canal. I'm really shaky during a routine extraction but those go quickly. I'm doubting my ability to keep myself together.

Help?

I had a molar extracted with a local and nitrous a few months ago. I was terrified and I was told nitrous would relax me, but like you it did absolutely nothing for me at all and I was terrified the entire time. When I asked about it in here I was told nitrous does not work on about 20% of people. I wish I had known that before I paid the extra $95 for it.
When I had my wisdom teeth done all 4 of them had to go and because they were impacted it was surgical extraction by an oral surgeon. I chose general anesthesia because they told me it could take upwards of a full hour or more to get all 4 teeth out and I knew I just could not handle that awake.
I don't know your particulars but I know that obese people go under anesthesia when they have gastric bypass and other surgeries so I don't see why if you were properly monitored you couldn't go under anesthesia too if that is what you would prefer. I would think as long as the oral surgeon is aware of your health issues it would be fine.

I had a molar extracted with a local and nitrous a few months ago. I was terrified and I was told nitrous would relax me, but like you it did absolutely nothing for me at all and I was terrified the entire time. When I asked about it in here I was told nitrous does not work on about 20% of people. I wish I had known that before I paid the extra $95 for it.
When I had my wisdom teeth done all 4 of them had to go and because they were impacted it was surgical extraction by an oral surgeon. I chose general anesthesia because they told me it could take upwards of a full hour or more to get all 4 teeth out and I knew I just could not handle that awake.
I don't know your particulars but I know that obese people go under anesthesia when they have gastric bypass and other surgeries so I don't see why if you were properly monitored you couldn't go under anesthesia too if that is what you would prefer. I would think as long as the oral surgeon is aware of your health issues it would be fine.

Thank you, it's good to know that I'm not a freak of nature because nitrous doesn't work on me lol I don't need to be completely out, conscious sedation is what I'm aiming for just so things go smoothly. My consult is tomorrow and I'm jittery with all the what if's in my head.

Just an update: As usual I was getting myself all tied up in knots over nothing lol. The consultation went really well, the oral surgeon made me feel very comfortable. Their x-ray machine talks, it was very hard to keep a straight face during that. I also appreciate that he didn't want to take out all four just because I'm there. My top two are fine. The bottom two will be coming out with IV sedation in three weeks. :jump:

Back