• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What work have you had done on your teeth ever?

I

ilovemysis97

Planet earth, that's all you need to know x
Just a random thing, post what work you ha e had done on your teeth and about how old u were when u had it done:)

I wouldn't know where to start. Front teeth crowned as I had them broke off in an accident, root canals, assorted deep fillings, inlays and the worst of all - extractions :scared:

I am sometimes surprised I still have as many teeth as I do. I have about 23 left, most of them are more filling than tooth. :)

Oh gosh, everything pretty much. The only thing I've not had done is a root canal, I'm saving that pleasure for later in life. :)

I've had four fillings done - one of which was very poorly done which resulted in extraction, even root canal wouldn't have saved it. I have a bridge, a crown, I've had braces fitted after multiple extractions. I have a full set of veneers. Lots and lots of work, considering how utterly terrified of dentists I have been during my life.

The majority of the work has been done this past year. I'm sitting typing this with a hugely swollen and mildly painful jaw because I had 6 wisdom teeth extracted yesterday under general anaesthetic.

I think maybe you had 4 wisdom teeth out (that's all there is otherwise called 3rd molars) and two other 2nd molars? Good job powering through.

The majority of the work has been done this past year. I'm sitting typing this with a hugely swollen and mildly painful jaw because I had 6 wisdom teeth extracted yesterday under general anaesthetic.

I think maybe you had 4 wisdom teeth out (that's all there is otherwise called 3rd molars) and two other 2nd molars? Good job powering through.

Four fully formed wisdom teeth, two under developed teeth. Everyone I saw, from my original dentist to the oral surgeon referred to them as wisdom teeth - they were tiny and hidden behind the upper 3rd molars. I actually had seven teeth removed in total, as a 1st molar went along with the rest (beyond saving).

I have been told it isn't uncommon to have more than 4 wisdom teeth. :dunno:

That's alot of teeth, so you had 14 molars?

I never really thought about it that way, but I guess so! Yes. I also had to have two baby teeth surgically removed when I was 21 as they'd become fused? Trapped? Few years ago now and I tend to blank out any dentist visit within hours of leaving.

That's a good thing the blanking out -wish I could do that. 4th molars are uncommon but happen, lucky you!!!!!

Four fully formed wisdom teeth, two under developed teeth. Everyone I saw, from my original dentist to the oral surgeon referred to them as wisdom teeth - they were tiny and hidden behind the upper 3rd molars.

Sounds like "supernumerary teeth." It happens more often than I realized until I had to start conducting oral-facial exams in my profession (I work in speech pathology). I must say that it's very strange to be on the other end; performing oral exams as opposed to receiving them. On the brightside, I'm very perceptive and observe my clients closely to ensure that they are comfortable with me (especially the little ones). Every now and then people get an extra-helping of teeth (I think it's more common in baby teeth) but you were just that lucky person!

Now onto the question at hand, I have had a lot of work done so far in my short life. Fillings; I'm not really sure how many...so many that I've lost count. I had many as a child and was not sedated (not sure of age...young elementary school years but I only remember a few specific occasions), then went through most of late elementary, middle, and high school years with no cavities. Sadly, all of that ended in 10th grade when cavities started suddenly popping-up everywhere. It's like I suddenly became prone to them and I have struggled with them on and off ever since. I had 2 teeth "capped" as a child maybe like 4 or 5 years old? Again, I don't remember it but I know that I wasn't sedated. I'm not really sure what they did (too young to know) but the teeth were completely covered in silver and were toward the front on either side. I had 4 front teeth extracted when I was 3 yrs old due to baby bottle tooth decay (with nitrous oxide-I still specifically remember the nose mask but I don't recall having an issue with it) and had my 4 wisdom teeth extracted when I was about 15-16 (with IV sedation, great stuff!). I have also had a filling replaced that I broke which was last August (1 year ago). No root canals yet and trying to keep it that way.

Total of 19 fillings. Glad nothing else yet.

6 as a child.
13 in the past 3 months.

I will have a wisdom tooth taken out soon.

I am 17 years old.

One filling on a baby tooth when about 8 years old.

Then in an accident both of my front teeth were broken off, aged 11, so have had numerous front crowns done, and one root canal done on the dead root.

2 amalgam fillings when in my 30s, which I then had changed to White composite.

One root canal on a molar in my 30s, this was bad luck as there was no fathomable reason for the infection at the root, no cavity to be found.

Last week, one wisdom tooth extracted....aged 43.

STILL TO GO..........

Cavity in a molar to deal with, possibly a root canal and crown needed ?

Then i'd like to get some orthodontic work done on my lower teeth (uppers are all really straight).

Following that I will have the front crowns replaced together, as they will be able to be put on really straight once the lower teeth are aesthetically sorted out. I currently have one temporary crown on one of the front teeth, due to recently breaking one off.

I am crossing my fingers that this is IT at the moment, bar hygienist appointments and check-ups.

I never had a cavity till i had my daughter. after which i had 2 bottom molars removed via iv sedation at 22. then this past year at 26 i had 5 extractions which consisted of 2 upper wisdom, 2 upper molars, and 1 bottom molar. i then had 4 bottom fillings. my next step is to have 6 upper front teeth extracted and a partial plate made. wish i could afford implants but way to pricey.

My Mum said she had perfect teeth until after her first pregnancy, she insists that something during the pregnancy changed her teeth and they were 'weakend'.i don't know anything about if this is a real condition or not, or if she had gum problems during pregnancy and then her teeth were vulnerable !?

My Mum said she had perfect teeth until after her first pregnancy, she insists that something during the pregnancy changed her teeth and they were 'weakend'.i don't know anything about if this is a real condition or not, or if she had gum problems during pregnancy and then her teeth were vulnerable !?

According to the American Dental Association, the idea that calcium is lost from the mother's teeth during pregnancy is a myth. If the amount of calcium taken in from her diet is insufficient for the baby's development, she may loose calcium from her bones, but not her teeth.

However...

"During pregnancy, your body’s hormone levels rise considerably. Gingivitis, especially common during the second to eighth months of pregnancy, may cause red, puffy or tender gums that tend to bleed when you brush. This sensitivity is an exaggerated response to plaque and is caused by an increased level of progesterone in your system. Your dentist may recommend more frequent cleanings during your second trimester or early third trimester to help you avoid problems."

And, from the Mayo Clinic:

Consider possible dental health problems during pregnancy:

• Tooth decay. During pregnancy, increased acidity in the mouth increases the risk of tooth decay. Vomiting during pregnancy can aggravate the problem by exposing the teeth to more gastric acid.
  • Loose teeth. Increased levels of progesterone and estrogen can affect the ligaments and bones that support the teeth, causing teeth to loosen during pregnancy — even in the absence of gum disease.
  • Gum disease. The hormonal changes of pregnancy can lead to gingivitis, an inflammation of the superficial gum tissue. Left untreated, severe gum disease may be associated with preterm birth and low birth weight.

So it does look to me as though it's possible that pregnancy did affect your mother's dental health.

That is very interesting...thanks for that. The only thing is she is convinced that calcium was lost from her teeth and hold me personally responsible !!!! I will be putting her straight on that when I see her tomorrow. :devilish:

Oh yeah, just looked it up myself and done some reading....it is a complete fallacy about the calcium loss. Looks like what actually happened was one of the following/more than one of the following....

• Tooth decay. During pregnancy, increased acidity in the mouth increases the risk of tooth decay. Vomiting during pregnancy can aggravate the problem by exposing the teeth to more gastric acid.
  • Loose teeth. Increased levels of progesterone and estrogen can affect the ligaments and bones that support the teeth, causing teeth to loosen during pregnancy — even in the absence of gum disease.
  • Gum disease. The hormonal changes of pregnancy can lead to gingivitis, an inflammation of the superficial gum tissue. Left untreated, severe gum disease may be associated with preterm birth and low birth weight.

Last edited:
As a child, chipped two top front teeth, had them filed down without being numb, hurt like hell,
Every back tooth filled by a demon dentist later struck off for doing work that was not needed.
5 teeth removed for a brace. Had a brace for nearly 2 years didn't work.
A crown in my 20s on back tooth.
A root canal in a small front tooth bottom, didn't know that was what it was at the time.
Age 24 tooth removed, a piece of root left in 'cos dentist couldn't get it out, top tooth.
Age 29 had 2 teeth re filled twice because they didn't know why I was in pain.
Age 30 had 4 impacted wisdom teeth out and the root of the tooth dentist left in when I was 24, it had got in my sinuses. Had to cut cheek to get it, and stitches put to sleep for this.
About 35 had crown on back tooth replaced and a bridge put on to cover gaps of missing teeth, at top left.
Age 37 filling in back tooth right bottom, left with bite too high.
Age 46 after approx 5 year missing dentist visits 2 back teeth out, 2 deep filled.
Age 47 one of deep filled teeth playing up so it was removed.
Age 53 1 tooth out and 1 root canal treatment after untreated abscess left untreated for over a year.
Age 54 1 root canal treatment.

And dentists wonder why I am phobic/nervous I have had treatment I did not need, I have had some very rough dentists that have really hurt, but I have had some very good dentists as well. On reflection the good has out weighed the bad, but unfortunately the bad memories are harder to get rid of. Dentists are very surprised when they see the work I have had done that I am bothered, but I am very bothered and nervous, but I care enough to persist getting treated because I can't deal with my imagination and the stress I suffer if I don't go.
I now at this point in time have 20 teeth and my mouth is full with only 1 gap that I am so mad about as this could have been avoided if the dentist had treated an abscess sooner.

As a child regular attendance, at about 8/9 years of age I developed toothache in two baby molars. Went to our usual family dentist wo was not very communicative and proceeded to try and drill these teeth without LA - I started crying and refused treatment.

Went to a school / community dentist who did use LA but one of the two fillings still hurt, these two baby molars developed abscesses and had to be extracted, one other filling in a baby tooth no LA. Dental phobia 6/7 years of non attendance. Age 17/18 became aware of marks on my pernament molars and one lower incisor and canine were chipped. After some reaserch I forund my current dentist Miss J.L. Potter - nervously made the first appointment and attended - good news the marks were not deep decay - just staining and the chipped teeth were ok to be left. Kept seeing Miss Potter for 6.5 years regular check ups and scale and polishes 1 filling lower right 1st molar - totally painless, and 1 upper wisdom tooth taken out - painless.

End 1997 moved to leicester new dentist Mrs Muriel Beoku - Betts very caring fissure sealants on molar teeth - to prevent decay - painless. Lower chipped incisor and cannine filled - one very small spot cavity on a upper molar filled painless 1999 and 1 upper wisdom tooth removed 1998 painless.

2008 moved to York dentist Mrs Carolyn Rickleton. During the 18 months I was there i only needed one fissure sealant replaced after it came away - this was totaly painless.

2010 to present Miss JL Potter Handbridge Chester no treatment as yet just regular scale and polish.

At 38 years of age I have all natural teeth with 2 fillings one silver and one white - though the white one is more a fissure sealant.

At age 5, baby tooth pulled.
At age 21, 1 wisdom tooth pulled due to impaction.
At age 22, one unsalvagable molar pulled.
Age 45, 9 extractions (including 3 wisdom teeth)
Age 46, fillings done, bonding, nightguard made
Age 47, upper partial made, more fillings
Present (age 48) root canal done.

Well here it goes...

Age 5/6-2 fillings
Age7/8-2 fillings
Age11/12-2 Fillings
Age 14-4 teeth pulled(all baby teeth to make room for adult teeth.)

That's all the work I've had, fillings for the most part. I don't have most of these fillings anymore though because most of them were on baby teeth, lucky me.

Age:13 .What work have you had done on your teeth ever? 7 cavities filled fun :(.I wasnt fully numb!

Just a random thing, post what work you ha e had done on your teeth and about how old u were when u had it done:)
:shame::shame::confused:

Last edited:
Back