• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What would dentist do, for sensitive teeth ?

A

A196x

I’ve had issues with sensitive teeth previously, a year ago the dentist did take x rays and x rays were fine. They then put sealant on my teeth twice (some months apart) Lately I’m getting a sharp pain in my tooth when I drink cold drinks, (I first noticed it with that so hot could be just as bad) but its a sharp shooting sensation.
I am seeing the dentist anyways next week but its a public dentist and I’m unsure what their role is and if there is anything they can do or another dentist for this sensitive pain?

Would a filling solve this? Its in big chewing tooth! But so painful - reflux has eroded teeth :(

@A196x I use colgate sensitive as recommended by my dentist when I had two suddenly sensitive teeth. It worked really well and I only use that now. They suggest last thing at night after brushing, using your finger rub some sensitive toothpaste onto the teeth causing the problem and leave it, don't rinse.

There are several products out there that dentists can use for sensitivity, just ask them.

The most effective one is called Seal and Protect, it works really, really well but it's got possibly the worst taste that I've ever experienced, even beats my mother in law's lasagne :)

Try Mum of Boys tip first though, the massaging with a finger last thing before bed is the best way to use it.

@Gordon Thanks Gordon, they had used seal and protect a few months back. Possibly before Christmas, it always wears off :( but maybe just needing a top up! I hope public dentist could apply it as seeing them next week!

Yes of course they can. Whereabouts are you?

Back