• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What would you like??

I think all of the suggestions here were excellent. I only have one to add: the treatment room. From my view I see a white ceiling or white wall. Wouldnt an interesting mural on the ceiling or wall be nice to look at/study to take your mind off of the procedure?

Agreed. I once visited a dentist who had a ton of different posters on the ceiling of animals and scenery and thought it was a pretty awesome idea. The office I'm at now has a TV mounted on in the top left corner of each treatment room with a couple different channels to pick from to watch but you can't see it at all when reclined in the chair for treatment so I only stare at it during that awkward period when I'm sitting up and the dentist is off to the side prepping or the assistant is going back and forth around the room getting things ready I don't feel like talking to them because I'm suppressing panic. There is a horrid teeth poster on the wall in front of me that shows how implants are performed! :o I HATE THAT POSTER...it's been there for 10 years..literally...I've been with the office for 10 years and that poster has been there since my first appointment. I loathe it.

I'm quite lucky, in the treatment room there is a huge TV on the wall opposite the dental chair and one placed directly above so you can watch something whilst being treated.

My only problem is each time i'm asked what i'd like on, I panic and can't think of anything! Mike sometimes chooses some relaxing music to put on which is fine with me.

Sometimes I like it just to be as quiet as possible, noise increases my startle response as i'm trying desperately to distinguish between the noises as to what I need to be scared of. :scared:

Gentle dental work, no lectures about how our teeth look (we do try our best to keep them clean etc)

Back