• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What's safe to drink?

TrueEnglishGent

TrueEnglishGent

So I'm looking to try drinks that are safer for your teeth. Drinking water all the time is okay, but gets a bit dull. So I was hoping that folks might be able to advice me on drinks that are safe for your teeth.

Thank you!

I LOVE milk and non alcoholic beer. That's not very acidic or high in sugar, so it's pretty safe for teeth.

Due to saliva production, almost any drinks are OK with meals, it's when you're sipping them all the time through the day they become a problem. The acid in diet sodas isn't much of a problem if you have them with food, or as an occasional treat.

Enjoy your drinks!

:)

Milky tea and milky coffee are fine so long as you don't put sugar in them. Couldn't live without them actually lol. Milk is also good as a change from water which is indeed boring as you say.

Careful with that milk- did you know humas are the only animal to continue drinking milk after we are weaned............. :)
anyway too much saturated fat and cholesterol in whole milk, while it might be a good source of calcium, it's bad for the rest of you: drink skim, low fat or 2%.
Green/white tea is very good for your gums and as an antioxidant has many health benefits.

rp

Thanks for the tips.

Doing some research on the subject, I tried (and enjoyed) natural orange juice though some don't recommend that. Not drinking a lot of it though so who knows how harmful it is as long as I keep up good oral hygiene.

Diet drinks are a no go right? I was told stuff like Ribena who advertise as being safe for teeth can be bad for them. So it's challenge.

Not a big tea drinker and don't drink coffee. Will continue to investigate!;D

Careful with that milk- did you know humas are the only animal to continue drinking milk after we are weaned............. :)
anyway too much saturated fat and cholesterol in whole milk, while it might be a good source of calcium, it's bad for the rest of you: drink skim, low fat or 2%.
Green/white tea is very good for your gums and as an antioxidant has many health benefits.

rp

Tried green tea once, either I did it wrong or I just didn't like it. Felt tasteless and weird! Guess I could give it another go but couldn't finish off the cup I made. :)

Try it iced with or without sugar substitute and a little zing of fresh ginger........... I drink zero calorie vitamin water as well .........Really i think the rule of thumb is whatever you consume should be in moderation, don't do it all day everyday.

Milk contains calcium which is good for bones and teeth. Milk in tea and coffee also prevents the staining effects of these drinks if taken neat as well as making them taste better. One man's meat...etc

I drink cranberry juice and water afterward to balance out the acid in my body.

Any drink that is acidic leaches minerals from your teeth. Your salva can remineralize your teeth but if you drink too many acidic drinks it will erode your teeth.
Examples are:
1. All fruit drinks
2. Wine
3. All carbonated drinks
4. Most all bottled or canned teas

Back