• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Whats the best type of filling to get

Yourbigpalal83

Yourbigpalal83

Well, sooner or later, im going to have to get a filling. Nothing major wrong now, but, one day in my life, ill have to get one. The price i pay for spending my teens drinking diet soda and not brushing like i do now. Oh well.

Now, i wonder, whats the best type of filling to get? Everyone seems to get those silver fillings, and me, who has no fillings what so ever (virgin mouth) im wondering, what do the fillings feel like? Do they feel diffrent then the rest of your tooth? how long do they last? Can a filling do more damage to a tooth over time?

My whole bottom right side of my mouth is fillings :( lol anyway, silver fillings are standard usually and they do not damage your teeth at all..fillings can last a life time if your careful. Once the filling has been put in, your dentist will ask you to bite down to determine wether or not he/she has to file it. After a day you won't feel it at all, no weird taste, no funny feeling (unless you bite on tinfoil...which i DO NOT recommend) The white fillings are simply cosmetic, but sometimes used because a few people can be allergic to the chemicals in the silver fillings..but the chance of you being one of those persons is very low.

ya, i was just wondering. I figure, i might need 2 wisdom teeth pulled, a bunch of fillings, and maby that ever so tiny dink on my front tooth painted over. Its not cracked or anything, just, an old war injury from a fight with my brother. I mean, all of this is what, 5 trips to the dentist over a few weeks, at most, and yet, im paranoid for some reason. I survived an extraction allready, why am i still worried?

Yourbigpalal83 said:
I survived an extraction allready, why am i still worried?

Might be because its not the surgery you fear, as Brit said it may be the actual location itself that makes you uncomfortable. Many people fear different things for example; the smell, the outfits the dentist wears, the look of the building (inside and out), the posters, the chair, the feelin of being trapped, problems breathing, gagging, not being numb...and there are millions more everyone is different. You just need to find out what exactly makes you anxious, and work at it

well, to me i think its more of finding out whats wrong, espically if there is no pain. I mean, i guess it all depends on how im told what needs to be done. My last dentist, who my father swore by (that should have given me a heads up right there, since my father has very few teeth), yelled at me. I remember his tone, as if ive done somthing so wrong, ya know, and just his addatude, scared the crap out of me, as if he was condemming me. Yet, the oral surgen who actuley removed my teeth, was great. I remember he kept saying while he was doing it "your doing great, we're almost done, hang in there", etc and when i went for my checkup, he said "wow, we got a healer here." and that felt great to me.

Back