• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Whats the next step after root canal and temporary filling?

A

Ariness2013

I had my root canal done a week ago and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy/painless the procedure was. The endodontist gave me a temporary filling, and I go to my regular dentist next week for followup. I know some people get crowns, but my root canal was on one of my top front teeth. Is there a possibility they could just do a permanent filling instead of a crown? Or could I request a crown since I know the color will change as time goes on? Will that be the last step in the root canal process?

I am also concerned about pain, either way. I'm assuming they will numb me/give me nitrous gas? Any information you could provide about the next steps will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello there

I've fairly recently had a root canal done and my dentist has put a Composite Filling in it but he says that since a root canaled tooth doesn't have a blood supply to it, the chances are it will become brittle and susceptible to breaking so that's why we are looking at getting a crown done once we are certain that the root canal is OK (which it is).

a crown means that the resulting restored tooth will be stronger and will avoid me having to go to the expense of having (another) implant placed.

Crown prep involves filing the tooth down around the circumference, having the Crown made to go on top of the prepped tooth and then cementing it in place, the dentist will usually numb the tooth and surrounding gum to make sure it's all comfortable. It's usually done over 2 or 3 appointments and will look just like a natural tooth.

hope this is helpful.

kind Regards

Back