• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What's the point?

M

miss_scared

After 9 months on the waiting list I finally got an appointment with a dentist. Due to bereavement I missed the initial appointment and now because I've missed 2 I'm off the books. I emailed begging them to let me have one appointment as all I needed was that for a referral to the hospital as my phobia that severe I need any work done sedated or under GA. I told them I was suffering with ME and that my teeth are glued in or heavily filled by myself and my front top 2 are buck teeth and one is severely loose with clicking and no gums left above top 2 and severe periodontal disease, I literally begged as I need that appointment! But they were like sorry no get back on the list and we will see you in 9 months!! I have called 6 dentists, emailed 4 private ones to see if I can see them for initial appointment and referral to nhs hospital appointment and they've said no so I said could I pay in installments and they said with amount of work it sounds like I need it would run into the thousands and they want money paid back over 2 years so out of my price range and I'd get turned down as on benefits :(

I am desperate. I have lost weight as I can't eat as I hate my tooth clicking, I feel sick all the time, 24/7 I am thinking of my teeth. I have spoken to my GP to see if she can refer me but she can't as has to be a dentist. I can't travel outside of my local area as I have ME so go out the house right now no more than a couple of times a month as virtually bedbound.

I am desperate and so close to ending it. No one will help me no matter how much I beg. I emailed the hospital direct to see if they would see me or if I turned up at a&e I could get to see them but got told no they would still need direct referral from dentist. I spoke to emergency dentist team and they said all they would do it remove my teeth but couldn't help cosmetically nor do referrals. My self esteem and confidence is through the floor and no one will help me. I have spent hours these last few weeks trying to get help but no one will. I was told via a dentist online to contact my local community dentist service who will help with people with mental health problems, ME etc, we don't have one!!!

Unless I win the lottery so I can go private I can't see any way out. I am on antidepressants, had counselling, cbt for my phobia and nothing has helped but now I am so desperate I just need to see a dentist to get referred to the hospital. What can I do :(

Hi there,

I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. Since you are out of options, are there any advice agencies you can go to that would refer you to a community/organisation for health issues?

Where do you live by the way? If you don't mind me asking.

Hi MissScared -- I'm so sorry you're in such a spot :(

I'm going to guess you're in the UK based on the language you used regarding going private. I'm in America so I can't help much with the UK system, but it appears that Emergency and Urgent Dental care is available in the UK. At the very least, there is the "NHS 111" Advice line ...Can you call them and tell them your situation and see what they recommend?? Do they not do Emergency treatment with sedation?

If all else fails, please go to your local Emergency Room (I believe you call it A&E over there) and tell them you're in so much pain and so upset that you're feeling suicidal -- they must be able to refer you to someone who can help. They can't just ignore your pain and desperation! Please don't do anything drastic..you always have options.

What does your regular Doctor recommend when you saw him/her?

Perhaps a little drastic (and I'm not sure how close the bereavement was) but could you get a copy of the death certificate (I know it sounds drastic :/ ) and perhaps a letter from your GP covering your ME and also stating that you've been to see him/her because you're so upset you've been and how you're not sleeping, eating, suffering with anxiety over it etc.. Even without a certificate I'd still write my own letter to the practice manager of your dentist, apologising for missing the appointment, and explaining it was only because you were dealing with grief at the time, I appreciate the certificate is OTT, but it may show how desperate you are and prove that you were going through a difficult time... Maybe that way, with some paperwork etc they may be more helpful/forgiving, rather than a frosty receptionist telling you it's tough luck..!

With a carefully penned letter I would hope for a little help from them considering your reason for non attendance, even if they just give you some suggestions on how to move forward with another practice they'd recommend, it has to be better than what you've got, there's nothing to lose at least?
I appreciate the missed appointment rule, I've also found myself paying a private practice the £60 missed appointment fee because I taken ill on the day.. sometimes they aren't very helpful, but some can be more forgiving.

Do you have a dental access center in your area? Could you give them a ring if you find yourself in an emergency, perhaps they could refer you?

I think with needing sedation your options may be limited. My husband gags and is unable to have work done on his back teeth.. Some of his teeth could've been saved, but all the hospital could do was remove 6 of his teeth under GA, obviously they can't fill teeth or do root canals etc. we also couldn't find a single NHS dentist who would do Iv sedation, the closest we got was some oral sedation given by our GP to get him through an emergency extraction via a private dentist (he was desperate at the time, the rest of his teeth hurt, but that tooth had him awake for nearly 10days as the NHS dentist wouldn't help!)

Have you used the NHS website to find the dental practices in your area? I believe there's also a number you can call and be given a list of the practises in your area accepting NHS patients.

Is there no one who can give you a lift to a dentist, maybe take an hour off work just to take you to one or two appointments if a dentist isn't in your immediate area? I'd take you myself if I could!

Where abouts of you live?

Back