• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain and bubble on gum after stage 1 of root canal treatment

L

Lottie_11

I had a root canal through an amalgam filling on Tuesday. The dentist packed the hole with medicine as there is infection there, and said to let the infection drain out and then have a filling on top next week if there's no infection.

At first everything was fine. But then this morning I woke up and there is this HUGE bubble thing on my gum above the tooth! It's sore and looks really bad. I'm really worried about this. I can't describe it that well so I took some pics, please forgive the poor quality but it gives an idea......is this normal to have? Should I go to my doctor/dentist/A&E? And has this been caused by smoking? :(I tried to not smoke but I have and now I'm scared it's caused this :(

I took some pics but they are poor quality cos I took them on my phone plus was really difficult to take a pic of the area as it's at the back of my mouth...I have made a very childlike collage of the pics so it shows more clearly the affected area...hopefully even though it's terrible it will give an ide of the lump that's there.

Thank you in advance to anyone that replies :confused:

Attachments

• teethcollage.jpg
    teethcollage.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 59
The root canal isn't finished yet, some of the bacteria have escaped into the little space above the roots and are causing some problems. It should go away fairly soon. No reason for antibiotics if you're not fevered/in pain.

Just wanted to thank you once again, I feel a lot better now! I tend to just panic a bit as I seem to have just inherited crappy teeth that get cavities and need root canals no matter what I do, so I always jump to the conclusion that things will go from bad to worse and I'll end up losing bone or something. But having someone qualified put things in perspective really helps! Thanks again :)

Back