• Pain

Votes: 35 46.1%
  • Gagging/nausea/vomiting

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Needles

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Lack of Control/feeling at the mercy of the dentist

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Other - please specify (N.B.: The options below weren't part of the original poll but added in 2019)

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Embarrassment/shame (newly added)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • The dentist (newly added)

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • The numb feeling (newly added)

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Panicking, crying or making a fool of myself (newly added)

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Bad reaction to local anaesthetic (newly added)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • The sound of the drill (newly added)

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Unnecessary treatment (newly added)

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Choking or drowning (newly added)

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Issues arising from past sexual/physical/emotional abuse (newly added)

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
Gilchrist'sVictim

Gilchrist'sVictim

Trust me...no you wouldn't.
Trust me--yes I would. And kindly refrain from telling me "how I should feel" when you don't know anything about me. I wouldn't show you that kind of disrespect.

R

Rebeca

Im so scared of the pain, the noise those machines make, and most of all, the judgmental comments. I’ve avoided the dentists because it’s so expensive and when I was younger, my mom couldn’t afford dental work being a single mom and mother of 7. Now, here I am, needing dental work and in pain. Yes, I’m scared, terrified ?

B

BlueLuna

Don't be afraid. Any dentist I've gone to does a good job. They usually ask how often you brush your teeth, do you use mouthwash, and floss and do so without passing judgment. During one of my visits, the hygenist showed me how to floss without me asking which I appreciated. She also recommended an electric toothbrush which has made the plaque go away. You got to change the brush head every 6 months I think. I get to watch television and they give me a remote to channel surf while they work on my teeth! Ask your friends, (or if you don't have any friends ask your banker, pharmacist, mechanic, etc.!) which dentist they like and check Yelp reviews and I'm sure you'll find a dentist you'll like!:)

M

MountainMama

My biggest fear is not getting numb (I have difficulty), or the procedure not working or causing a snowball effect comes in close

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Forum Buddy
There are a lot of things I used to fear more like

Things dropping down my throat..all those little parts going in and out would put me on edge. ( well its almost the 1 yr anniversary going to my new dentist and he hasn't dropped anything yet and very careful )

The shot... is it going to hurt this time? ( Thankfully now I am comfortable enough I don't have to squeeze the assistants hand giving her the death grip).. actually thankfully too, my dentist is a pro at this and I rarely even feel the pinch..

impressions..ugh.. I hated these.. well still don't like them but.. the last few weren't bad and made it through in one shot, but used to think the stuff was going to go down my throat and cut off my breathing.. thankfuilly in many years and crowns and dentures later never has happened.

The one fear I still have which is the worst is the fear of the switcheroo.. now I don't think I will need to worry as I'm not at the same clinic this happened at .. but my previous clinic the dr would come in , then about when you were ready to get treated he would bring another associate in you don't know to do the treatment. #1. you don't know or trust the other person #2. you didn't agree to it, so its a boundaries/basic respect thing if it wasn't discussed ahead . #3. For me it may make me think there is a reason about me they switched , they don't want to help me, don't like me, think my teeth are awful,... so .. that doesn't help the situation..

Thankfully my dentist now is awesome and I don't think I have to worry about switcheroo.. but.. if something happened with him.. I'd be worried again to start all over..

A

Abshire06

Mine is the numbing effect from a lower block!!!! I’m so scared of not being able to feel my throat

T

Thephilsblogbar

Being told my teeth have all got to go (I go reguarly for appoinments)

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Forum Buddy
Also,, one time I woke up and my tooth was just sitting in my mouth unattached.. I could have easily swallowed it in my sleep it was a miracle I didn't... but I fear this happening again... it was a crown so the glue just must have worn off but it was scary.

G

geos

I would have to say being in pain (from dental issues, much more than treatments), gagging, losing control / anxiety attack while in the chair, the cost, not figuring out what is going on (for example, going to the dentist for pain and not getting any explanation).

M

Manda883097

The noises of all the machines and cause how bad my teeth are ill have to get them all pulled out so the pain as well

R

RileyAK

Pain - the injectable anesthesia does not numb me. I can still feel significant pain. Then the dentist becomes frustrated because “You should be numb by now, not feeling anything.” But I do. Conscious sedation doesn’t work either. I metabolize medication/sedation incredibly fast.

S

Scared all the time

How do u handle it when your worst fears come true

Last edited:
letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
This poll was closed for voting in July 2011, but with our move to a new forum software, we are able to reopen existing polls :cheer2:! I've added a few more options to it at the bottom (so researchers beware - the results won't reflect actual percentages)... happy voting!

K

klol

I struggle with trusting any dentist. I become anxious and panicky in the chair, worried they’ll do something wrong. After treatment, I worry that they missed something, like a cavity under a crown or an abscess even if everything feels ok. I worry that they think my teeth are ok, but in reality they’re all going to fall out of my mouth and I’ll be toothless before I’m 30. I know my dentist well and I DO trust him as a person, but that’s the problem- I don’t think I’ll ever fully trust ANY dentist because my anxiety assumes they’ve missed something. I’ve shared this with him and he does his best to reassure, but that anxiety is still there 🤷🏼‍♀️ Now he’s trying to get me to consult with an ortho to get braces as it will align my bite and improve my ability to brush tougher spots better...and that has my anxiety ALSO through the roof. I’m a dentists worst nightmare, always blubbering before I hit the chair 😭😂

P

Pocdasert

Having anything besides food or flavored drinks makes me panic. Water even makes me freak out. Past sexual stuff. I instinctively bite down and gag as soon as anything goes in there. Also pain, and needles.