• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

What's Your Worst Fear?

What is your biggest dental fear?

• Pain

Votes: 41 46.6%
  • Gagging/nausea/vomiting

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Needles

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Lack of Control/feeling at the mercy of the dentist

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Other - please specify (N.B.: The options below weren't part of the original poll but added in 2019)

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Embarrassment/shame (newly added)

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • The dentist (newly added)

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • The numb feeling (newly added)

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Panicking, crying or making a fool of myself (newly added)

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Bad reaction to local anaesthetic (newly added)

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • The sound of the drill (newly added)

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Unnecessary treatment (newly added)

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Choking or drowning (newly added)

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Issues arising from past sexual/physical/emotional abuse (newly added)

Votes: 5 5.7%

• Total voters
T

thisisme

Other: Work being done incorrectly/making things worse

This has become a newer fear of mine. I’ve seen it happen to relatives who go in with a problem and come out with a worse problem.

T

Thephilsblogbar

Even though I go regularly, dentist takes out all my teeth.

Well it would help me in one way, as I would not have to moan about the bathroom lighting and mirror in bathroom, I still live at home with my parents because of my disability.

P

powerwus

I fear losing all my teeth. Or even a few of them all at once. I fear unnecessary treatment because I have decent coverage. That's more a fear my wife has implanted in my head. She thinks a lot of the things I've endured (six gum surgeries, two of them gum grafts) are only being done because of my coverage. Not a big fan of needles though some of the Dentists I have had are VERY skilled in their application.
I am generally not a fan of the Dentist office in general.

P

powerwus

Because of Covid, my every three months cleaning has been disrupted. it will be almost six months the next time I am scheduled to go, and I am dreading that.

T

Thephilsblogbar

Because of Covid, my every three months cleaning has been disrupted. it will be almost six months the next time I am scheduled to go, and I am dreading that.
I go regularly three months for clenaings, should have gone on the 29 April, my last cleaning was on mid January 2020, I am dreading that, because of my over crowding problem I am in my 30s and had a few fillings, one root canal, I am dreading going back (well I live with my parents, my parents can help pay towards the cost)

No idea when I can get seen, I am having issues with one of wisdom teeth, so I may get in sooner.

Thankfully I only had one adult tooth removed and that was back in 2006. my current dentist would have saved that tooth, as I could not afford a root canal done as I am nhs patient and he wanted to charged me private prices I was going away on holiday a few days later,

But I am scared my dentist will take all my teeth out.

P

powerwus

I am actually getting my first adult tooth removed on Friday, an upper first molar. it was root canalled 18 years ago and retreated 6 years ago. Apparently beyond saving. Have had one infection in it (this past March), and they've decided to pull it. It is totally freaking me out. Wisdom teeth were gone when I was 30 (I am 50 next month)...