• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

When can I start wearing my retainer again?

A

anonymous0732

Hello,

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed this past Tuesday, and I'm wondering when I can safely wear my retainer at night again. I still have a fair amount of pain and swelling, so I can't even imagine attempting to put the retainer in, but I'm really worried that if I don't start wearing it again soon, that it won't fit, and that my teeth will move around. I've been wearing a retainer at night for about 5-6 years now, and frankly I'm not even sure if I have to keep wearing it because I haven't been back to the orthodontist in ages. So maybe it won't make a difference anyway, but if anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Should I not even attempt to wear the retainer as long as I'm experiencing pain or is it ok to wear it with minimal pain? If I end up having to wait, say, a week or a week and a half, will my teeth be ruined?

Thank you!

For the retainer, you should be fine not wearing it for a few days. Everyone is different, but usually it takes several days for your teeth to move the slightest. If you start wearing it back in the next week or two, I think the worst that could happen is that the retainer feels tight. After a few nights, you should be back to normal.

As long as the pain doesn't increase while wearing the retainer or that it doesn't make the wearing of your retainer uncomfortable, it should be fine to wear the retainer with some light pain. Since you have swelling, it might not even fit right now, so be careful not to force the retainer in.

For the retainer, you should be fine not wearing it for a few days. Everyone is different, but usually it takes several days for your teeth to move the slightest. If you start wearing it back in the next week or two, I think the worst that could happen is that the retainer feels tight. After a few nights, you should be back to normal.

As long as the pain doesn't increase while wearing the retainer or that it doesn't make the wearing of your retainer uncomfortable, it should be fine to wear the retainer with some light pain. Since you have swelling, it might not even fit right now, so be careful not to force the retainer in.

Thanks so much!

Back