• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

When do wisdom teeth really need removal?

S

shyguy404

So I'm finally done with most of my major dental work, except for my wisdom teeth. Three of them have partially come through my gums but haven't reached the level of my other teeth, and my dentist says they probably never will (I'm 26, they started to come in probably 3-4 years ago). The fourth one is almost totally inside the gums. I do have a small cavity in two of them, but that's all. They aren't angled strangely and I've had no symptoms from any of them. My dentist says there's really not enough room for them, though. What would be the possible consequences of leaving them in and just getting the cavities filled? I'm very worried about going through a surgical procedure that isn't necessary at this time.

Hi,
It may be possible to fill the cavities if they are small and it is possible to get access to the cavities with dental instruments. The fact that the teeth are only partially through the gum does mean that they may be susceptible to gum infections in the future.
I would suggest you discuss your concerns with your dentist so he can help you arrive and the best decision.

Back