• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

When should anaesthetic wear off?

G

Gollygosh

I recently had a sort of traumatic experience involving an extraction (Just made a journal post about it) and one of my concerns is that I started experiencing some sensation and minor pain right before they’d finished, and was in definite pain by the time I was standing back in the waiting room which would’ve only been a few minutes after they’d finished. I can remember times in the past where I’d been numb for hours after the dentist and so I’m not sure what’s considered appropriate.

Depends on what kind of anaesthetic was used, where it was put and how much of it was used.

I recently had a sort of traumatic experience involving an extraction (Just made a journal post about it) and one of my concerns is that I started experiencing some sensation and minor pain right before they’d finished, and was in definite pain by the time I was standing back in the waiting room which would’ve only been a few minutes after they’d finished. I can remember times in the past where I’d been numb for hours after the dentist and so I’m not sure what’s considered appropriate.

Hi there. Just wanted to say if it’s somethung that worries you about treatment in the further. Try agreeing a stop signal with your dentist before you start, so, you can notify them if you start to feel anything. Might just give you some piece on mind

Depends on what kind of anaesthetic was used, where it was put and how much of it was used.
I couldn’t tell you majority of those things so let me try to rephrase my question, would there be any issue with me requesting local anaesthetic that would last a little longer so I had the chance to get home and take a pain killer? I understand being under general for too long is riskier to health but I don’t know whether local has similar concerns. Hope that makes sense!

I metabolize the anaesthetic very quickly, so often the standard dose isn't enough for me. I now request a longer-lasting one, because I'd rather be frozen for a few extra hours, than be in pain while they're still working on me (which has happened many times over the years). My dentists have never refused that request.

I’ve requested more local anesthetic at pretty much every procedure I’ve had where it was needed. They have a tough time getting me fully numb so I always opt for more local & they wait a bit longer to begin the procedure (to ensure I’m fully numb). I’d rather be numb longer after the procedure than feel any pain during it. I think I was pretty numb for a good 3-4 hours after my last root canal. Hope this information helps! ?

I couldn’t tell you majority of those things so let me try to rephrase my question, would there be any issue with me requesting local anaesthetic that would last a little longer so I had the chance to get home and take a pain killer? I understand being under general for too long is riskier to health but I don’t know whether local has similar concerns. Hope that makes sense!

That's a much more answerable question :)

There's no issue with requesting longer lasting local, it's totally different from a general anaesthetic (and you're not quite correct there either, but let's not get into that!). As other posters have said, you can either have a bit more of the same local or get one of the more longer acting ones (although not all dentists keep them in stock) There are limits to the maximum dose of local but most adults aren't likely to get near them.

The only real issue is that there's more chance of you biting your soft tissues the longer the local lasts for but for most adults that's not a huge concern.

Back