• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Where to start

D

Driller

Ok so hi, I'm a 33 yo frustrated man, I've had dental problems for many years going back to school days, suffering decay I now have my front four teeth rotten to stumps and a couple of the back ones nearly gone, I just don't no what to do, i give myself advise every day, just go to the dentist and be a man about it, everything will be so much better after but I'm so scared

im not scared of the pain as no pain a dentist could inflict would match the emotional pain just the embarrassment of laying there with my mouth open its driving me crazy

Hi and welcome!

I can relate with the feeling of being embarrassed to open your mouth for a dentist. But a good dentist won't judge or belittle you - all they want to do is help you. They will have seen it all, and they will have seen worse. They should also work with you at your comfort level, so if it's the laying down part that bothers you, maybe you could ask them to do the initial look in your mouth while you are sitting up.

Maybe you could start by researching some dentists in your area and calling around or emailing them to explain your situation and see if they can help you, see whose response you like best, and then go from there. Taking that first step is the scariest and hardest part, but it does get easier from there. My boyfriend was the one who initially approached me about seeing a dentist, and he was the one who made the call to make my first appointment. Showing up to that first appointment was by far the worst part for me, but it's gotten easier since them.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

yea i can feel the pain and embarrassment but remember it is the job of dentist to see and fix worse problems and believe me they see a lot of people with horrible teeths daily so be confident and visit your dentist.

The embarrassment is something relateable but you need to consult your dentist because it might become a huge problem for you afterwards. Sometimes the pain does not go away easily and you might not be feeling that now. So just dont worry and try to get this over with as soon as you can :)

Hi driller. First of all it is not a matter of manning up. A good dentist will try to put you at ease. They will not judge you, they only want to help. Let us know how you get on.

Hi and welcome!

I can relate with the feeling of being embarrassed to open your mouth for a dentist. But a good dentist won't judge or belittle you - all they want to do is help you. They will have seen it all, and they will have seen worse. They should also work with you at your comfort level, so if it's the laying down part that bothers you, maybe you could ask them to do the initial look in your mouth while you are sitting up.

Maybe you could start by researching some dentists in your area and calling around or emailing them to explain your situation and see if they can help you, see whose response you like best, and then go from there. Taking that first step is the scariest and hardest part, but it does get easier from there. My boyfriend was the one who initially approached me about seeing a dentist, and he was the one who made the call to make my first appointment. Showing up to that first appointment was by far the worst part for me, but it's gotten easier since them.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

Thanks for the advise, I think I'll try the emailing a few and see if that gets the ball rolling,

Back