• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Whether the first dentist will do the refilling if I go for a second opinion.

U

Useruser

Hi all,
I had fillings in my teeth. The numbers are 13,14,15,19. I had the fillings in the month of June 2018. I was having the pain or pressure like feeling in my lower left teeth since I had these fillings. I went to my dentist 4 times and he did some bite adjustments 3 times and in the 4th visit, he said that I have to refill the filling since it's giving me some issues and am coming for 4th time. I went for the 4th visit in the month of September. He said it could be air bubbles. He said he will do the refilling for free because it's just air bubbles issue.

I still have the pressure like feeling in my left side and I want to get rid of it as it affects me everyday and my day to day life. I am thinking if I should go for second opinion to check this issue and to check the bites. My upper and lower teeth not aligning properly. I wanted to check if I really should do the refilling. If I go to a second dentist, he will take x-ray and examine. If he says that I have to redo the filling, can I go back to my first dentist for filling? Because he said he will do that for free.
Whether he identify or able to catch up my record that i went to another dentist for second opinion. Is that possible in US?
Why I am asking this question is, i have changed my insurance plan this year and I have to do out of my pocket.So, if he does the refilling for free, it will be good for me.
Any inputs on this ?

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not know much about insurances etc. in USA, but if a dentist decides to redo a filling for free then the reason is that he suspects the work not to be as perfect as it should be and wants to fix it as a part of the guarantee. In the the country I live in a dentist is responsible for any dental work for the duration of two years and has to fix it for free during this time.
It is understandable that you wish some reassurance to make sure the redoing of the fillings won't be unhelpful as nobody wants to get more dental work than necessary, however you asking for a second opinion shouldn't change your dentist's responsibility for his work.

M

MountainMama

In my experience, in the U.S., you can request a copy of your x rays and records and take them with you to the dentist you want a second opinion with. The only reason you would need more x rays is if the ones you have don't show enough to see the issue.
You do not have to have the 2nd dentist do the work. You can ask for a consult appointment, where they will only examine and duscuss what needs to be done. If they say the filling needs to be redone, and you don't feel comfortable telling them you want to get it done elsewhere, just say you want to think about it and will call to schedule if you decide to do it there.

I went for a second opinion on a tooth that was hurting. I told the dentist up front that I was there for a second opinion and that I had a regular dentist. It didn't bother him at all.

You pay for the consult, so they get paid for their time they spend with you.

U

Useruser

In my experience, in the U.S., you can request a copy of your x rays and records and take them with you to the dentist you want a second opinion with. The only reason you would need more x rays is if the ones you have don't show enough to see the issue.
You do not have to have the 2nd dentist do the work. You can ask for a consult appointment, where they will only examine and duscuss what needs to be done. If they say the filling needs to be redone, and you don't feel comfortable telling them you want to get it done elsewhere, just say you want to think about it and will call to schedule if you decide to do it there.

I went for a second opinion on a tooth that was hurting. I told the dentist up front that I was there for a second opinion and that I had a regular dentist. It didn't bother him at all.

You pay for the consult, so they get paid for their time they spend with you.
Thank you so much for your reply @MountainMama .
I have the x-rays which are taken before the fillings done. He didn't take any x-ray after the fillings. He just check the bite and send me back. Since I went for the fourth time, he said he will redo it and may be air bubbles present in the filling.
So, I don't have any new x-rays. Can I go in for a cleaning visit to the second dentist? So that, it can be covered under my insurance and x-rays(if taken anything new)are also covered.
Will they talk about the issues during the cleaning visit? Is it advised to go for a cleaning visit or consulting visit?

M

MountainMama

Thank you so much for your reply @MountainMama .
I have the x-rays which are taken before the fillings done. He didn't take any x-ray after the fillings. He just check the bite and send me back. Since I went for the fourth time, he said he will redo it and may be air bubbles present in the filling.
So, I don't have any new x-rays. Can I go in for a cleaning visit to the second dentist? So that, it can be covered under my insurance and x-rays(if taken anything new)are also covered.
Will they talk about the issues during the cleaning visit? Is it advised to go for a cleaning visit or consulting visit?
Are you due for a cleaning? My insurance won't cover cleanings if they are less than 6 months apart. I think it will also depend on the dentist. I had a new dentist about five years ago that would not look at anything during a cleaning that wasn't visible during the exam.

If it were me, and it was a new dentist, I would schedule a consult, just because that would make sure they assessed the issue at hand.

U

Useruser

I do not know much about insurances etc. in USA, but if a dentist decides to redo a filling for free then the reason is that he suspects the work not to be as perfect as it should be and wants to fix it as a part of the guarantee. In the the country I live in a dentist is responsible for any dental work for the duration of two years and has to fix it for free during this time.
It is understandable that you wish some reassurance to make sure the redoing of the fillings won't be unhelpful as nobody wants to get more dental work than necessary, however you asking for a second opinion shouldn't change your dentist's responsibility for his work.
Thank you so much for your reply.

U

Useruser

Are you due for a cleaning? My insurance won't cover cleanings if they are less than 6 months apart. I think it will also depend on the dentist. I had a new dentist about five years ago that would not look at anything during a cleaning that wasn't visible during the exam.

If it were me, and it was a new dentist, I would schedule a consult, just because that would make sure they assessed the issue at hand.
Yes. I am due for cleaning. I didn't go for a cleaning after this filling work. So, it's been an year since I had the cleaning work.
That makes sense. Some dentist won't spend time during cleaning visit. I will check how much does it cost for the consultation. Because, it will be out of my pocket.