• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums.

White area on gum from Novocaine injection

L

LauraQ68

Had two root canals yesterday (upper and lower molars on one side). This morning there is a white sore area on the top of the gum, between the gum and the cheek. I think it's where one of the injections was given (I had several). Is this normal or does it indicate an infection? I'm using salt/warm water rinses and also hydrogen peroxide, which hopefully will allow it to heal. Any reassurance is greatly appreciated.

M

MountainMama

Had two root canals yesterday (upper and lower molars on one side). This morning there is a white sore area on the top of the gum, between the gum and the cheek. I think it's where one of the injections was given (I had several). Is this normal or does it indicate an infection? I'm using salt/warm water rinses and also hydrogen peroxide, which hopefully will allow it to heal. Any reassurance is greatly appreciated.
I get that every time I get an injection. It irritates my gums and they often turn into ulcers. It will go away in a few weeks.

L

LauraQ68

I get that every time I get an injection. It irritates my gums and they often turn into ulcers. It will go away in a few weeks.
Oh, thank you so much! I was on the verge of calling my dentist (who I'm sure is tired of hearing from me by now). You are such a blessing to this forum, MountainMama! Thank you for your reassurance.

T

TKB1974

Totally normal! I had many shots (I’m tough to numb) and I had some gum irritation after. Nothing major & cleared up quickly. 😊

L

LauraQ68

Totally normal! I had many shots (I’m tough to numb) and I had some gum irritation after. Nothing major & cleared up quickly. 😊
I had to ask for more Novocaine about four times! I'm such a pain wimp that I didn't even want to feel the twinges. Luckily, the endodontist was very accommodating.

M

MountainMama

I had to ask for more Novocaine about four times! I'm such a pain wimp that I didn't even want to feel the twinges. Luckily, the endodontist was very accommodating.
I have difficulty numbing and always end up with at least twice as many shots as usual.