• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

White Thread In My Extraction Site

D

DarrenH

Quick recap: Had tooth extracted almost two weeks ago, I still have white cotton/string sticking out, even though the gum has pretty much completely healed

Not sure if its part of the white blocks he put in the hole, or stitches, but theres a couple and they're stringy and stick out about a cm each If I play with them with my tongue, otherwise they're pretty much stuck down to the gum.

Should I go to the dentist to have them cut or pulled out or something? or should i leave it and they will dissolve..

Its not to annoying, a little bit, just not sure how sanitary it is to have them, they taste a lil funky.

It sounds like they are dissolvable stitches that haven't dissolved, in which case you should go back to the dentist and have them removed. It's quite common for it to happen, and removing them is quick and painless. See here for more info:

If you think it might be something else, your dentist is still the best person to check. I'd at least ring up and describe it to them, and see what they say.

Hth. :)

Back