• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Who to see - doctor or dentist?

G

Former Member
In addition to having dental phobia. I injured the nerves on the left side of my face in an accident about 2 years ago. Now when I eat anything rough, like potato chips etc., I can feel a painful sensation in my face above my lip and to the bottom of my eye. I also feel heat or cold there when I drink hot or cold liquids. There is a constant feeling akin to having duct tape on my face and I have limited sensation in my teeth on that side.
About two months ago I began to experience a great deal of pain which seemed to center in the canine tooth on that side and I was certain it was abcessed. I called a dentist for the first time in 10 years to have it pulled. He did exrays and said it was not abcessed,after a course of anti-biotics it stopped hurting, but this tooth needs a large filling and the tooth beside it has broken off. I managed to have two teeth filled on the other side of my mouth before having a panic attack at my last visit. So, in addition to needing help with everyday fear of the dentist , I am concerned about having work done on the injured side of my face
and what will happen. My question to you is (finally) who would be the right proffessional to get answers from, a doctor or a dentist?

A dentist. Doctors know next to nothing about the mouth and surrounding tissues. :confused:

Back