• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why are UK dentists afraid of change or new product.

L

lukesurrey

I've been trying to find a dentist in the UK to use a very new product curodont, its one of the first tooth regeneration products to be released, it has passed all safety check etc.. Yet no one UK dentist is willing to try it, they prefer to drill and fill rather than use this product first.

If I don't find one I'll have no choice but to go to main land Europe to try this product, it really makes me sick that dentists in the UK are more interested in damaging your teeth rather than help you keep them in tip top condition.

Hi lukesurrey

I have just seen on a website on 'tinternet' that as of March this year it hadn't been approved in the UK? Not sure if that is still the case, as I couldn't find too much info.

I am certainly not a dental professional, nor any sort of scientist etc - but I simply have to disagree with your comment "it really makes me sick that dentists in the UK are more interested in damaging your teeth rather than help you keep them in tip top condition".

I truly honestly believe that the majority of dentists are reluctant for a very good reason - I don't know what this would or could be, and I truly hope that if this is a good product, you will get your satisfaction that you persevered.

It's a product created by chemists at Leeds University, it has been approved and is on sale right now.

Many UK dentists are reluctant to jump on the band wagon when it comes to new and supposedly wonderful products as they very often turn out to be of little or no benefit to patients. I'm not saying this one wont turn out to be fantastic but no-body actually knows yet.

There are so many gadgets that claim to be all singing all dancing but in reality they are expensive and of no real benefit. Don't get me wrong, I see a dentist who uses the wand and it has really changed the way I see needles and my fear of dental injections.

According to their website it is being distributed to selected specially trained dentists, so why not try contacting them to find out who is using it?

The product was tested and found to work by Leeds dental University, the product has European approval CE medical approval. Now if it were a company I would think twice, but tried and tested at a top British dental School well it's a bit different.

In what sort of situations could it be used? Is it a replacement for a filling? Large filling , small filling? Decay prevention?
And what is your own reasons for wanting this product? Do you have a dental fear and think this is the product for you instead of standard dentistry?
Just curious.....

I think I read somewhere it is for small cavities, but I may be wrong?

I think I read somewhere it is for small cavities, but I may be wrong?

and tooth erosion, and 1st steps of tooth decay. you may never need a filling if this is applied, plus it stops any cavities forming around fillings.

In the box it looks like a tube, do dentists have to apply this stuff?

Is it a paste or a liquid?

Are you a dental student, or a dentist?

What is your interest in this product?

Are you a salesman?

Could patients use it themselves?

How often does it have to be applied?

Do you have a full and proper report on this product?

What are the results on the people it has been used on?

Is it for life or does it have to be applied every so often?

Are there side effects?

What are the down sides to this?

Could it dis-colour our teeth?

Could it be used on healthy teeth as a prevention?

Who are you?

I don't mean that last question as a rude one, I am curious as to your interest in this.

Last edited:
Just had a quick peek at the makers' website.

So in fact the Leeds study has just started (May 2012) and there are in fact no published references anywhere on the website in a refereed dental journal to support the makers' claims.

I've been a dentist for 30 years now, the amount of products which have been launched to huge fanfare in the non-scientific press and which have done precisely nothing in the real world would turn your hair grey. When I was younger I tried several of the new super products, at least one of which did real harm both to my patients and my bank balance...

If this product is so good, then it'll be around in a few years and I'll probably use it. Until then I'll let patients who have agreed to be experimented on do the guinea pig work.

Just had a quick peek at the makers' website.

So in fact the Leeds study has just started (May 2012) and there are in fact no published references anywhere on the website in a refereed dental journal to support the makers' claims.

I've been a dentist for 30 years now, the amount of products which have been launched to huge fanfare in the non-scientific press and which have done precisely nothing in the real world would turn your hair grey. When I was younger I tried several of the new super products, at least one of which did real harm both to my patients and my bank balance...

If this product is so good, then it'll be around in a few years and I'll probably use it. Until then I'll let patients who have agreed to be experimented on do the guinea pig work.

I am curious - did you ever try this product?

It wasn't readily available when I retired, so no I never did. I see it's been picked up for sale by one of the bigger dental companies now, so it might gain some traction. Still can't readily find any decent studies to see how effective it is, seems to work for some limited cases, if the caries (decay) can be picked up early enough then it seems helpful but it doesn't seem to offer massive benefits for established caries.

Back