• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why aren't gold caps used anymore ?

B

bob777

I have two gold caps that were put in my mouth years ago.

When I went for a dental checkup today, I heard the dental assistant mention to the dentist that gold caps aren't used anymore. That got me to thinking about my two gold caps.

Over the past several years, I noticed that I only get white caps...no gold. Why not? Are the white caps just as good as the gold caps I have?

Thanks,

I think they are still used, and from what I've read they are better than white ones (less tooth needs to be removed and they are stronger so last longer, my dentist told me that she had patients whose gold crowns had lasted 20-30 years!)

The disadvantage is the colour, which means that a lot of people go for porcelain crowns these days.

Mahiyu is 100% accurate in her post regarding gold crowns. If you look in a dentist's mouth you will see that gold crowns are the restoration of choice!!

Lincoln

Back