• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why did my filling hurt? :(

Y

Yeet45

So today I got the balls to get my cavity filled :). Yay right!! I got a ton of anesthesia. Roof of mouth and everything. Easy peasy. Then the dentist put water on it and I went crazy. It was so sensitive! The dentist thinks that my nerves were so high that it caused the anesthetic to not work. Is this even possible? Her solution was to give me vailium and to try it tomorrow. Do you guys think this was the problem? I mean I was very nervous to be fair. But I believe I have good pain tolerance because I didn't flinch when they gave the shot in the roof of the mouth. Advice/thoughts? :( Btw they gave me a TON of shots.

Last edited:
Hi Yeet -

Yep, that can happen. There are lots of possible reasons why local anaesthetics might fail, and unfortunately for some people anxiety can be one of them.

The good news is that there is plenty they can do about it too, lots of other things they can try, so on another day there's a very good chance that they will be able to get your tooth completely numb.

Hope that helps!

Back