• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

WHY do i feel so anxious-disappointed with myself?

Aurora10

Aurora10

Hi everyone. I have been having pain on and off since the beginning of September, first in my left canine and then it moved to my right one. I feel tenderness at the root of the tooth which is under the bridge I had placed last year. I have been seeing a really good dentist who has not tried to rush me into having root canals and has tried to adjust my bite a few times to see if that could help as he says my bite is totally off. (He didnt make my bridge) I have been able to cope with the pain so far as it comes and goes, but yesterday it came on in the afternoon and was there until I went to bed. It was just irritating and I felt so tense. I did fall asleep thank goodness but this morning it is back again, not as bad though. I don't want to have root canals done as I have had three fail on me and so although I'm apprehensive, I feel like having the bridge removed and the teeth that are causing problems extracted. I then can have a partial while I save up for implants.
I really am worried I've got some terrible infection or abcess too, even though the xrays don't show strong evidence of an infection or any abcess. I do not want to take antibiotics at all either, as I don't like taking any drugs unless absolutely necessary.
I am also moving back to the UK from Canada in 3 weeks so this is just the last thing I need obviously. I'm not going to fall into self pity but honestly, I just want this pain to be over with! I'm thinking of trying to get an appointment with my dentist today to see if he can see me and see where we go from here. I also will have sedation, which makes me very tired but at this point I cannot sit there in the chair with just LA, as much as I wish I could.
Anyone here going through/gone through something similar? I feel so silly and whiny being anxious again about having dental treatment, it's only a year since I went through everything to have this bridge. And I am disappointed it's failed, but there it is.
But I just want this pain to stop and for me to focus on the move and all that that entails. I feel vulnerable and alone really, even though my husband is always so great and understanding. I feel quite down and sad, it's taking away my happiness and peace, hope that doesn't sound too dramatic and pessimistic but it's true.
I'd really appreciate any support as I am floundering right now ?

Can you try rubbing on some sensitive toothpaste and see if it takes the edge off. I find when I have toothache I can go ott brushing and end up making the gums etc a bit sore, that and some receding gums can leave teeth a bit exposed.. just trying to think of idea if you've no abscess etc, it might be worth a try. In the UK I use sensodyne, that helps some.

I'm the same, no abscess on xeay but fear it's been missed, or just forming! Worry is my middle name!

I have tooth pain all the time it seems, thankfully I can sleep but it can wake me at times.. but I'm the same, it can leave you feeling fed up, snappy or withdrawn.. just not yourself and with a black cloud over you. You can feel alone at times, feeling like everyone but you has great teeth lol
I hope your pain has eased x

Can you try rubbing on some sensitive toothpaste and see if it takes the edge off. I find when I have toothache I can go ott brushing and end up making the gums etc a bit sore, that and some receding gums can leave teeth a bit exposed.. just trying to think of idea if you've no abscess etc, it might be worth a try. In the UK I use sensodyne, that helps some.

I'm the same, no abscess on xeay but fear it's been missed, or just forming! Worry is my middle name!

I have tooth pain all the time it seems, thankfully I can sleep but it can wake me at times.. but I'm the same, it can leave you feeling fed up, snappy or withdrawn.. just not yourself and with a black cloud over you. You can feel alone at times, feeling like everyone but you has great teeth lol
I hope your pain has eased x

Thanks, I feel so bad for you having to deal with toothache as well, it is horrible. So what does the dentist say the treatment needs to be for you?
Let's hope it settles down for us both soon! My pain is minimal today thankfully.

I'm glad your pain isn't too bad today :) Hope it stays that way x

I've had pain for the last 8 or so years.. Ive had some teeth out as I can't face rct due to the anxiety, time in the chair etc. I could be sedated but hate not feeling myself... I had sedation for a camera down my throat once, I had two times as much as most people have and it did nothing what so ever, other than give me more anxiety re side effects, poss nausea etc!!

Anyway.. sometimes they think the pain is from having missing teeth - the gums sitting lower than normal and making surrounding teeth a bit exposed and sensitive to hot and cold etc. Mostly I don't think they know!
This last tooth is supposedly from a deep filling conducting hot and cold as its a metal filling near a root. But it's a 15yr old filling.. I think it's likely there's some decay under it tbh. When I floss it's always a bit wiffy (sorry, gross) it's been that way for years, I've been explaining that for years to many dentists but it seems to fall on deaf ears. My current dentist seems more angered that I couldn't tell which tooth was causing the pain, but I had about 8 fillings, all 15 years ago, and all have caused issues since.. messing up my bite, jaw pain, one filling was connected to two teeth, meaning I couldn't floss under it, causing decay, so I lost those teeth..

10 years it took to build the courage and I ended up being even worse off..

From my side of things I know I just didn't look after my teeth. No one told me as a kid what would happen if I didn't brush. I thought it was just to be clean, So I had a tendency to just brush the front teeth - the ones people could see... I always drank pop as a kid too, sweets, sugar on my apples or rhubarb - the only time I ate fruit... the back teeth just got neglected on top of all that. I suffered with depression during pregnancy and didn't brush at all for months, I knew the consequences but I was just so miserable at the time.

Paying the price now...

The current dentist wants to change my metal filling to a white one, so it doesn't conduct heat... but I just don't like him, he's impatient etc. . I'd like to find a more caring dentist first :) Need to pluck the courage up to calling some more places!

What's your course of treatment/plan for the future?

I'm glad your pain isn't too bad today :) Hope it stays that way x

I've had pain for the last 8 or so years.. Ive had some teeth out as I can't face rct due to the anxiety, time in the chair etc. I could be sedated but hate not feeling myself... I had sedation for a camera down my throat once, I had two times as much as most people have and it did nothing what so ever, other than give me more anxiety re side effects, poss nausea etc!!

Anyway.. sometimes they think the pain is from having missing teeth - the gums sitting lower than normal and making surrounding teeth a bit exposed and sensitive to hot and cold etc. Mostly I don't think they know!
This last tooth is supposedly from a deep filling conducting hot and cold as its a metal filling near a root. But it's a 15yr old filling.. I think it's likely there's some decay under it tbh. When I floss it's always a bit wiffy (sorry, gross) it's been that way for years, I've been explaining that for years to many dentists but it seems to fall on deaf ears. My current dentist seems more angered that I couldn't tell which tooth was causing the pain, but I had about 8 fillings, all 15 years ago, and all have caused issues since.. messing up my bite, jaw pain, one filling was connected to two teeth, meaning I couldn't floss under it, causing decay, so I lost those teeth..

10 years it took to build the courage and I ended up being even worse off..

From my side of things I know I just didn't look after my teeth. No one told me as a kid what would happen if I didn't brush. I thought it was just to be clean, So I had a tendency to just brush the front teeth - the ones people could see... I always drank pop as a kid too, sweets, sugar on my apples or rhubarb - the only time I ate fruit... the back teeth just got neglected on top of all that. I suffered with depression during pregnancy and didn't brush at all for months, I knew the consequences but I was just so miserable at the time.

Paying the price now...

The current dentist wants to change my metal filling to a white one, so it doesn't conduct heat... but I just don't like him, he's impatient etc. . I'd like to find a more caring dentist first :) Need to pluck the courage up to calling some more places!

What's your course of treatment/plan for the future?

Thanks so much for your support and kind words?. Oh I have so much empathy for your situation too. I know how it feels to feel trapped by dental issues on the one hand and anxiety about having those issues resolved, on the other. I have always managed to do what I've needed to do so far and I'm hoping I always will but it's really important to find a dentist who is sympathetic to patients with anxiety and who you feel a connection with; so yes, it is a good idea to start searching out a dentist who you can feel comfortable with.
Don't beat yourself up about your past dental habits, what's done is done and you have the opportunity to put everything in your mouth right if you decide you want to. And I hope you will soon, the longer you leave it, the worse it might get and the more treatment you could need and you know, things might not be as bad or as complicated as you think they are; I know I always seem to think the worst will happen with my teeth but often it isn't as bad as I think. I'm kind of in limbo right now but it won't last forever, I have to have hope that it will get sorted out for good soon.
I went for digital impressions today and I'm having a nightguard made so hopefully it is a bite issue which the splint will help with.

Back