• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why don't they understand?

N

NicolaJayne

I have been terrified of the dentist since a really bad experience. We have changed dentists and the dentist we (my mum and myself) have now is really lovely but I'm still scared! I have panic attacks and yeah okay, I cry when I walk into the room cause I'm panicking so much.

My mum is also scared of the dentist. She always tells me to 'get a grip' or that I'm 'being stupid'. I don't think she's feeling so much fear than me but she's good at hiding things. I guess I just want to know if anyone else has had to deal with this and/or knows how to get parents/whoever to understand a bit more?

I'm experiencing a somewhat similar problem. I try explaining what the phobia is like to my parents but they just don't understand (the feeling of aloneness and deep embarrassment). My mom actually has a neurological disorder that effects her motor skills and I try explaining my phobia to her and she is always saying "you don't need to see a therapist or get medication. You can fight this on your own," and comparing it to her disability saying that it's not that bad and I can deal with it. It's already frustrating dealing with my phobia, and their lack of understanding doesn't make it much easier.

I panic pretty badly before I get to the dentist's office, but once I'm in the chair and they're working on me I'm able to just deal with sweaty palms, fast pulse, and tensing my body. The dentist recommend that I focus on wiggling my toes to get my mind off of it when they saw I was having a hard time and it's silly but it did help. But I get your panic - so many things could possibly go wrong during the treatment - that's why I'm nearly skipping back to my car when I'm leaving :)

At this point, I can either take really good care of my teeth and keep them -or- I can lose my teeth and gums. Losing my teeth is a bigger phobia than getting my teeth taken care of, so I choose to get the treatments done.

One trick that I use is that I schedule morning treatments (so I don't panic all day while waiting) and I stay up late/wake up early, so I'm pretty sleepy when I get into the dentist's office. I'm still nervous but I'm tired enough that I almost want to nap in the chair, which helps me to relax just a bit more.

That is great advice. It helps me to listen to music very loudly on headphones. That way I am somewhat distracted from all the sounds and other senses that contribute to my phobia. It may or may not work for you as well. Hopefully you can find something to distract you so that you don't focus entirely on the things that scare you.

Back