• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why pull out failed root canals?

A

adamzski

I have two root canals that had the roots removed. I did not go back and get them finished off, they had temporary fillings done.

I am booked tomorrow to get them extracted, but why should I?
They are a lower 2nd left molar and upper right second molar.

No pain, no problems really. The upper molar has no top part of tooth at all left, the bottom one lost another of its "walls" yesterday, it is a gutted tooth. There is no roots left, no pain.

What are the disadvantages and advantages of removing them?

A disadvantage I know of is the risk of infection/pain but the big thing I am concerned about is bone loss. Although they receive no biting on them now they do still have an empty set of roots in them that take up some space that I assume the bone around it will shrink to be filling once there is a void there.

I will smoke carefully within 6hrs of extraction also, so I am a bigger risk for complications.

if you leave the roots you are at very high risk of pain /swelling. The infection that causes this pain/swelling also causes bone loss( around the root tip)
If you leave them then you may preserve a different part of the bone (outer wall) but this only works as a strategy if the roots are not decayed and ideally the gum needs to grow over the root. This doesnt often happen spontaneously.
The purpose of preserving bone is to improve aesthetics/hygiene for a future implant or bridge tooth. If this is the plan then why wait? I would advise that you move towards the solution sooner rather than later.

Back